Saxophone Forum

by imageswatom
(11 posts)
17 years ago

PLZ need info about: Conn tenor 16M S# K92795

Hi all, Can anyone tell me detailed background on my Fahter’s old sax? it was left to me after he died in '67, but since I still sound like a cow when I try to play it (& it's now 2007) I figure I'd try getting the low down on the history, what it's worth, etc.., from the experts... Here’s what I think I know: (URL to my MSN space page that has some photos of the sax on it): images-watom.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?_c02_owner=1 As far as I know it’s a Conn tenor 16m serial #: K92795. Other then that & that I’m pretty sure it was made late 50's - 60’s, I’m at a loss. Could someone please tell me more detailed info or direct me to some site that might have more info? Also does anyone know approx. how much it’s worth? Thanks for your time... Thomas R.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

17 years ago

Re: PLZ need info about: Conn tenor 16M S# K92795

Thomas, Take a look at past posts on this, and Saxontheweb.net forums (I know you posted this question there as well), as much has been discussed previously about these Conn "Director" models. Essentially, these are student grade horns, not particularly valuable or well though of (especially the later manufactured ones, such as your 1967 model and newer), and aren't worth much more than a couple of hundred dollars in excellent, ready to play condition.Some feel that they are OK as student horns go, but my opinion of them is considerably less than that (and I'm a vintage Conn collector). In other words, this is no Conn 10M pro model that you have doubtless read much about. Sorry for the less than fantastic new. Cheers.

Reply To Post

1. by imageswatom
      (11 posts)

17 years ago

Re: PLZ need info about: Conn tenor 16M S# K92795

Hi saxismyaxe, Thanks for the info... It's funny... I seem to be getting pretty much the same opinion by many a person, however the price seems to vary: Between $200 to $800 I figure I'll see what a few more people have to say & then put it up on eBay at the amount I want to get for it. If does not sell, then so be it. It has more sentimental value to me then only $200. Thanks again... Thomas R.

Reply To Post

2. by imageswatom
    (11 posts)

17 years ago

Type "O" correction by images

OK>>>> I made a BIG type"O"... My father died in 1976, not 1967... Sorry for the confusion... Ughh... I feel stupid... Thomas R.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Type "O" correction by images

Well, I'm going to disagree a bit. Since it's a tenor rather than an alto, it should bring more than $200, especially since it is pre-1970. My 16M has great sound, and I believe yours should have great sound, too, if played by someone who plays the saxophone. Check with the schools, and see if someone might be looking for a tenor--and can't afford a Selmer or a Yamaha. Should be a good saxophone, even though it isn't a pro model. Not everyone feels the need for a pro model.

Reply To Post

1. by imageswatom
        (11 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks Sax Mom

Hi Sax Mom, Thanks for the advice. If I were living some where other then Montreal, QC Canada I would check with the schools, however there really is no school near me that has any kind of band. I do agree with you about the $$ though. I think $200 is to low. If someone was a "vintage Conn collector" I can see them not being to interested in buying a 16M tenor Conn. lets face it, no matter what you collect half the fun is finding the things your looking for at a bargin. However, if you are your average buyer then you might spend a bit more. Bottom-line for me is I want to be fare $ wise to me & the buyer if I end up selling it. After I get the sax looked at & played by someone that knows what's what, then I'll place it on eBay at a price I want to get & no less. I will of course answer any & all Q''s with the up most truth if say I'm asked "is that not a little pricey?", etc... Either that, or people just won't bid. If that's the case, then it's much more valuable to me as a sentimental keep-sake. Thanks again, Peace... - Thomas R.

Reply To Post

1. by Tutewiler
          (20 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Thanks Sax Mom

Could you give me the e-mail for whoever told you $800? In the last 2 monthsI have bought three of these directors, the Altos went for under $100 and I wasted $120 on the tenor. Only the 1959 is a decent sax, and might draw more than $200. The tenor I have is from 1970, and it is not worth the metal it was made from, IMHO.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Asking for email address?

Why in the world would you want to have the email address for the person who told him that the tenor was worth $800? Are you planning to send the person an email to argue the value of the saxophone? And, your "IMHO," belies your post, since your post can in no way be termed "humble." I would not let my Conn 16M Tenor go for $800, so at least that one is worth more than that to me. If I didn't have one already, and needed to buy one, I might spend $800 on one, in preference over a "monique" or some other cheaply-made imitation of a saxophone. Just because the ones you bought "super cheaply" are not worth $800, does not mean that his is in the same apparently "broken down" condition. There. My rant is over. I apologize if I came across as arogant, I did not intend to do so.

Reply To Post

3. by Tutewiler
          (20 posts)

17 years ago

You are right , Sax Mom, and I apologize to you, and anyone else I may have offended. Yes, I based my opinion on three cheap horns from eBay, and that was unfair. Being that they are indeed Conns, I'm sure there are many good ones out there, and I was wrong to base my opinion on the three I have without checking out a first quality one. You have my (truly) humble apology.

Reply To Post

4. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Apology accepted. Thank you.

Reply To Post

5. by imageswatom
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Rant & things...

Could not have said it better myself sax mom... Thank you. In response to Tutewiler: best to look at the threads again & pay particular attention to the part where in I say: "bottom line for me... etc" Peace... - Thomas

Reply To Post

6. by imageswatom
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

Forgotten note...

Last time I checked this was a "discussion" group not an "Argument " group... Peace... - Thomas R.

Reply To Post

7. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Forgotten note...

Rather than argue this ad nauseum, I will simply guide you to the esteemed forum I'm honored to be a staff member on-SOTW, and quote my friend Pete Hales (www.saxpic.com) and his shared experiences with appraising horns for people pro bono: forum.saxontheweb.net/showpost.php?p=454635&postcount=78

Reply To Post

8. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

The link talked about spending $10 on something worth $10,000, or $10,000 on something worth $10. It also mentioned POS's, but didn't define them. :-) Bottom line is, the saxophone is worth what you can get for it, or what you would pay for it, or what you would let it go for. Someone who believes, "if it's not a Selmer, it's junk," would certainly not put much value on a Conn. One who believes Conn made some pretty nice horns in the past, just might disagree.

Reply To Post

9. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Just for the record, I'll list my collection of horns. As you can see, I have a wide range of makes and models (dispelling any brand bias), and more than a passing bit of experience as well. The Saxpics quote was regarding the resistance of some to an honest assessment of that "treasured horn" even when solicited. I keep this updated as a word document so all I have to do is cut and paste, for readily apparent reasons! NONE are for sale. Here goes: Conn: 1. 1928 Silverplated Conn New Wonder Series II Alto. 2. 1926/27 Conn bare brass New Wonder Series II Tenor 3. 1932 Conn 12M "Transitional" Baritone, gold plated. 4. 19?? Conn "Masterbuilt" Saxophone Shop stencil C-Melody in later Lacq. finish. 5. 1924 Conn New Wonder Series I C-Melody in Silver plate. 6. 1937 Conn 6M VIII in Gold Lacq. 5. 1938 Conn 10M in Silverplate 6. 1941 Conn 26M in lacq. 7. 1938 Conn 30M in Lacq 8. 1948 Conn 10M in Lacq 9. 1967 Conn 10M in Silverplate 10. 1926 Conn Bass Sax in bare brass King: 11. 1926 H. N. White King Alto in clear lacq 12. 1925/26 H.N White King Tenor in silver plate. 13. 1938 King Zephyr Alto in Gold lacq. 14 1940 King Zephyr special Tenor in Gold Lacq. 15. 1941 King Zephyr Baritone in Gold Lacq. 16. 1950 King Super 20 in Gold Lacq 17. 1950/51 King Zephyr Alto in Gold Lacq 18. 1952 King Zephyr Alto in Gold Lacq. 19. 1948/49 King Zephyr Tenor in silverplate U.S. Military horn. 20. 1953 King Super 20 Tenor in Gold Lacq 21. 1953/54 King Super 20 Silver Sonic Tenor. Martin: 22. 1930 Martin Handcraft Alto in gold lacq. 23. 1938 Martin Committee II Alto in gold Lacq. 24. 1940 Martin Committee II Tenor in gold Lacq. 25. 1946 The Martin Committee Alto in Gold Lacq. 26. 1947 The Martin Committee Tenor in Gold Lacq. 27. 1956 The Martin Committee Baritone in Gold Re-Lacq 28. 1962 The Martin Magna Tenor in gold Lacq. Buescher: 29. 1926/27 True Tone Soprano in Silver plate. 30. 1928 True Tone alto in Gold plate. 31. 1938 Aristocrat Alto in Silverplate. 32. 1948 Big Bell Tenor in gold Lacq. 33. 1951 TH & C Tenor in Gold lacq Selmer: 34. 1948 SBA Alto in Gold Lacq. 35. 1947 SBA Tenor in Gold Lacq. 36. 1957 MKVI Alto in Gold Lacq. 37. 1958 MKVI Tenor in Gold Lacq. Misc: 38. 1950 Dolnet Bel Air Tenor in gold Lacq with Chrome Keys/guards. 39. Antigua Winds 582LQ Soprano 40. 1959 Buffet SDA Tenor in gold plate. 41. Grafton Plastic Alto C. 1950's or early 60's.

Reply To Post

10. by Tutewiler
          (20 posts)

17 years ago

I hope you get what you feel it is worth. I was just kind of taken aback at that $800 estimate. I just have never seen a Mexiconn go for even half that amount. Best of luck to you.

Reply To Post

11. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Actually, the production of the Conn saxophones was moved from Elkhart to Nogales, ARIZONA, in 1969 not to Mexico. The transition to Mexico happened over a period of years after 1970. Therefore, the Conn in question should not be considered a MexiConn.

Reply To Post

12. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Not quite: Conn acquired the Best Manufacturing Plant in Nogales Arizona in 1959, and began moving production of it's student (Director) line of horns there that year. In the year 1969, Conn was sold to the Crowell-Collier MacMillan Company in a hostile takeover, and production was moved to Mexico not too long after. Production of the Elkhart, IN made pro "Artist" horns, or former "Ladyface" models ceased at this time as well, save for a few assembled from old inventory parts.

Reply To Post

13. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Sorry for my mistake, I got the 1969 date from www.usd.edu/~mbanks/CONN20.html#Mac I should also have looked at the previous page www.usd.edu/~mbanks/CONN19.html#Leland which does note the Nogales, Arizona plant beginning production in 1960. However, the move did not move to Mexico until 1969 or 1970, and the horn referenced in this post was produced in 1967, and so would have been made in the USA, not Mexico.

Reply To Post

14. by imageswatom
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

Hmmm...

So... does that mean ya all think that my sax was 1967 or later? hmmm,,, Could make a big diff, it would seem. Thanks ever so much for everyones input by the by, I never thought that this Q would have produced such intense banter. hope your all well, Peace... - Thomas

Reply To Post

15. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Hmmm...

Saxmom is correct in stating that your 1967 horn is most likely made in Nogales AZ, and not the later Mexican facility (which is a good thing). Better still are the earlier ones made in Elkhart IN. I was simply posting the correct dates and chronology for accuracy's sake. Looking at Ebay, Craigslist, private sales, and Sax forum Marketplace ads, and years of seeking these horns on the market personally, I can tell you that you will unfortunately see that the $200 mark is very close to the average for these later Director horns. More power to you if you can get more for it, however I think your horn's value lies more with sentiment. Perhaps would be better to hang on to it and enjoy the memories. Cheers.

Reply To Post

16. by imageswatom
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

Maybe, but like I said "I'm going to put it up on eBay & see if I get what I want for it. if there are no bids, then so be it" Also here are a few of links to sax auctions that look very much like mine. 1. (This one looks in pretty bad shape but went for $400 USD) cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150094192123&rd=1&rd=1" target="other">cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150094192123&rd=1&rd=1 2. (this one went for $470 USD) cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110093503957&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=270090346861&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget" target="other">cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110093503957&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=270090346861&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget 3. (This one went for $385 USD) cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200081677755&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=270090346861&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget" target="other">cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200081677755&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=270090346861&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget Etc... So by the market standards I'm not going to get what I want for it, but it would seem that it is worth more then $200 USD as you say... Not much more granted, but never the less, more. Peace... - Thomas

Reply To Post

17. by imageswatom
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

Opps.... Not sure what happened, but this is what my post should have looked like: Maybe, but like I said "I'm going to put it up on eBay & see if I get what I want for it. if there are no bids, then so be it" Also here are a few of links to sax auctions that look very much like mine. 1. (This one looks in pretty bad shape but went for $400 USD) cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110093503957&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=270090346861&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget 3. (This one went for $385 USD)

Reply To Post

18. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for redoing the post, I was pretty sure that tenors generally go for more than $200. You've confirmed my memory of such, without my doing the search!

Reply To Post

19. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Best of luck in your sale.

Reply To Post

20. by imageswatom
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks again for all the info... I'm also waiting on someone from Conn to get back to me to see what they say as well (it's been a week or so that I've waiting to hear back from them.) I really want to be 100% sure of what I have so that I can be fair to any potential biders. I also want to be fair to myself, but I guess that goes without saying. I'm more then likely going to put it up for bid by the end of next week or so (baring any timme needed for a good cleaning, etc...) So I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again... Peace... - T

Reply To Post

21. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

The Conn name was purchased by Selmer some years ago, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting to hear from them. The K at the beginning of your serieal number does put the date of manufacture at 1967, which would have been in Nogales, AZ, USA. The better horns were those with the "Mercedes" type (wire) key guards, rather than the later sheet metal. I'm not sure what yours would have being made in 1967. If it has the wire key guards, I would point that out in the ad, as those who know the Conn horns would place higher value on it then. If it has the sheet metal guards, I just wouldn't mention it, and let the pictures speak for themselves.

Reply To Post

22. by imageswatom
          (11 posts)

17 years ago

Uh, yes I know that. The actual copany name is "Conn-Selmer Inc." & I was already talking to one of there Sales reps that suggested I talk to one of their tech.s. It is the Tech. that I'm waiting for a reply from. Here's a link: www.conn-selmer.com/content/brands.php Not the best web site I've ever looked at, but still serves it's purpose. Peace... - Thomas

Reply To Post