Saxophone Forum

by mrsticky
(4 posts)
17 years ago

'69 Conn Alto Sax

My friend doesn't have a computer so I'm here to ask a question for him. He bought a used Conn Alto sax with a floral pattern around the "Conn" name on the bell. No shooting stars on it. Serial number M210788. Would anyone happen to know the model type of other important information? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tutewiler
    (20 posts)

17 years ago

Re: '69 Conn Alto Sax

Does it have brass rod keyguards? Is the neck the "tunable" type? Is the G# key like a nailfile? Does it have rolled tone holes? The serial number dates it to to 1928, which would make it a New Wonder II or as it is commonly known "Chu" Berry model, which would be outstanding. If it has sheet metal keyguards, then it would be a 1969 "Mexiconn", and that's not so great. Judging by the number of digits in the serial#, I'd guess it's a Chu, because theres one too many numbers for the '69 serial#s. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by mrsticky
      (4 posts)

17 years ago

Thank you Tutewiler. I'll find out the answers to what you brought up about it. I'm interested to find out. Thanks again!

Reply To Post

1. by mrsticky
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

It does have the nailfile g# key. The keyholes have a rolled lip around the top if that's what you meant. The neck appears to be tunable. I have some pictures but I'm unsure if we're allowed to post any. thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Consider yourself lucky! That is definitely a Conn New Wonder Series II then. Comparing a 1969 Director model to your newly found Series II is like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Rolls, or at the very least, a Cadillac! A great horn.

Reply To Post

2. by Tutewiler
          (20 posts)

17 years ago

CONN-Gratulations! It's a "Chu" Berry, and like saxismyaxe said, it's a treasure of a find, especially compared to a '69 Director. Enjoy!!

Reply To Post

3. by mrsticky
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks for your help. We wouldn't have known much about it otherwise.

Reply To Post