Saxophone Forum

by straightj23
(103 posts)
17 years ago

Buddy Rich

I just got a CD called Burning for Buddy: A Tribute to the Music of Buddy Rich. It contains a lot of Buddy Rich classics such as Nutville, Mercy Mercy Mercy, and others. The CD has different guest drummers on it, including Neil Peart. Anybody listen to this stuff? Some songs have pretty hot sax solos.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by maciagt
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Buddy Rich

You guys missed one great drummer Butch Miles.....he's really the closest living drummer to Buddy that I've ever heard. TM

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

17 years ago

It's ok...I was kind of disappointed in some of the songs...the saxophone section together sounded weird (not in a good way) but the solos were pretty nice. The alto solo on Love For Sale man he had a crazy sound ha ha...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Seano
      (132 posts)

17 years ago

I heard one tune... Moment's Notice. I really dig the arrangement, but to me some of the solos sound like bop etudes. Some may disagree.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

17 years ago

i've never seen any drummer with more speed and power than Buddy. I remeber when I asked him if they were going to play the West Side Story medley and he said " I'll think about it" Much to my delight thaye opened the set with it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by swingstreet
      (315 posts)

17 years ago

I am good friends with Buddy Rich's protoge and ex-roadie, Joe Ascione. He has all of Buddy's chops, but actually has more percussive range than Buddy did. He also plays other types of drums, like the djembe, with great effect. This is not taking a thing from Buddy. He was one of the greatest swing drummers alive. I actually put him second to Papa Jo Jones. Buddy was more flamboyant, but Papa Jo was sharper and more precise. Just listen to him on Benny Carter's Further Definitions. Solid but never intrusive. Buddy always played like he wanted everyone to notice him. That was why he had to have his own band. He was the master show drummer.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
        (573 posts)

17 years ago

Nobody has all of anyone's chops esxcept his or her own. If someone had all my chops I would be unemployed. Everyone that is good has something in his or her back pocket. Those guys are ancient and dead. The technique level is much higher now.

1. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

17 years ago

I still think Buddy Rich is one of the best drummers ever.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jamterry
            (573 posts)

17 years ago

I agree CountSpatula :)

2. by swingstreet
          (315 posts)

17 years ago

So who pissed in your coffee this morning?

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
            (602 posts)

17 years ago

I'm glad I don't drink coffee...

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Seano
            (132 posts)

17 years ago

Be cool, gentlemen.