Saxophone Forum

by casualsax
(1 post)
17 years ago

Changing Styles

I played alto from fifth grade up until my sophmore year in college in various concert/symphonic setups as a hobby, but never got all that serious about it. Now, two years later, I'd like to pick it back up so I can jam a bit with my guitarist friends. My first question: how can I teach myself to play improv - specifically with guitarist friends? Are there any good guides online that you can recommend? My second question: I'm currently playing on a selmer series III alto with a C* mouthpiece with the standard vandoren 3 reeds. Would you recommend getting a new mouth piece? What reed would you recommend?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by The Insomniac Saxman
    (141 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Changing Styles

If you're planning on jamming with guitarists, then work on your guitar keys (E, A, D, and G) which for you on alto would be (C#, F#, B, and E) . . . guitarists LOVE playing in those keys (because of open strings). Best of luck!

Reply To Post

2. by Donnie The B
    (282 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Changing Styles

Nothing wrong with a C* mouthpiece. If you push enough air, you can still be heard amongst guitars. It's easier - and more required - to push more air with a more open facing. But on alto sax, what many players use might correspond to a D-F mouthpiece, so not much difference. There is a chart at the Denver University website relating to what different pros use. The link is shown under the discussion titled What The Pros Use here, under Sax Equipment. Type in: www.du.edu/lamont/Mpce.html This might be of interest to you. I mean Ace Cannon used a Berg Larsen rubber piece with a .080 tip and he got a very cutting-through or edgy sound. Good Luck.

Reply To Post