Saxophone Forum

by SaxSolo
(3 posts)
17 years ago

Clainet to Sax switch

I'm hoping to switch to either an alto sax or tenor sax for Jazz Band. I've heard of the "China" brands and am wondering (because i basically know nothing about brands) Cecilios? is it some cheap knock off? Like most desperate Sax switchers I'm kind of pressed for cash would it be better to rent-to-buy, by this cheap Ceclilo (heard it fell apart on some, but was ok for others), or hold off and save up for something like a Yamaha?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mjohnnie
    (66 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Clainet to Sax switch

Save for the Yamaha. Definitely!!!

Reply To Post

1. by Dark Eyes
      (138 posts)

17 years ago

I believe that Jim has a very good list of notable saxophone brands in the thread 'Jim's list of "approved" saxophone brands'. I am not sure if Cecilio (spelling) is a good brand or not so you should definitely check in that thread. Also, there are other saxophones besides yamaha so you might want to go and try out some different kinds. Good Luck Dark Eyes (unloved thesis)

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

17 years ago

You can get a decent student saxophone for much less than new, and you probably don't need a pro horn at this point. You can get some decent deals on ebay (but be sure they have a return policy). Used YAS 23's can be purchased there from about $300 to $500. I have an Arizona student Conn (alto) for sale for $200, but the market isn't really there for this horn. If interested, I can send pictures and a digital clip so you can see hear what it sounds like.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxSolo
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

Yes, that would be great! my email is [email protected] and what do you mean by "Arizona"? the state?

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Yes, the state. Production was moved from Elkhardt, Indiana, to Nogales, Arizona, before production was moved later to Nogales, Mexico. Quality declined in the move to Mexico. I'll try to get the digital video clip ready for you tomorrow, but will email some pictures now.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxSolo
          (3 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks a whole lot! I'll e-mail you a couple of my questions tonight or tomorrow.

Reply To Post