Saxophone Forum

by Chazmire
(3 posts)
17 years ago

1910 Holton alto

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong topic area: My son needs to add an alto to his soprano and tenor saxophones. I pulled my father's old silver alto down and rubbed the tarnish away to see that it was made by Frank Holton, Elkhorn, Wisconsin, with the serial #7765. This places it between 1910 and 1920. I've done some research, and I think these were not considered great horns. My brother redid the pads and mechanisms in 1980, but they have been unplayed and stored since. It needs some mechanical work (the high A octave key), but my son could play it pretty easily. Would it be worth doing the repairs for other than sentimental reasons? Do you know what such a vintage instrument might be worth in perfect playing condition? Thanks for your help. I'm new here and I'm sorry if this information might be available elsewhere here.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

17 years ago

Re: 1910 Holton alto

Holtons are not considered in the top ranks of vintage horns, not so much because they were inherently awful, but because they were not extraordinary in any one area, unlike many of their contemporaries. They were sort of the Ford Edsel of their day. Early ones like yours often had additional keywork somewhat in the spirit of the Evette systems with addition trill keys etc. These were really more of a nuisance than a bonus, and no doubt contributed to their disfavor. If you have to put a lot of money into it, don't expect to get it back when/if you try to sell the horn, as these aren't worth a whole heck of a lot to begin with. However, if you can get the horn up and running for a minimal amount of cash and difficulty, I would say that this horn will easily get your son through the first several years of playing, and will likely sound a lot better than many of the current production student horns out there as well. Cheers.

Reply To Post