does anybody know of a good go

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by thelittlemarchingone
    (50 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Gold Polish

I wouldn't go searching for a specific polish for a specific metal - I would use Flitz metal polish. I use that for damn near everything, and it works really well. It won't strip anything off, and will leave it with a protective coating to reduce the amount of times you have to polish it...

Reply To Post

1. by Slausonm
      (51 posts)

17 years ago

Gold doesn't really tarnish...do you really mean the polished brass....which looks gold is tarnished? Buescher did make some gold plated horns but brass lacquered is more common. Flitz will work, so will brasso if the horn is brass. What ever you use, avoid getting it on the pads and in the key mechanism. Haggerty also makes some good polishes.

Reply To Post

1. by Christian Anderson
        (73 posts)

17 years ago

its definately gold plated, matte on the body, and burnished on the keys. i guess a better discription is that there is dirt and grime that has built up over the last 50 years in storage, i just want to get it clean before i repad it.

Reply To Post

1. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

17 years ago

If you are doing a repad...all new pads and corks, I would remove all of the keys. Strip all the old pads and corks out of it. Heat and remove all glue. IF it is not lacquered over the Gold(sometimes they are) I would wash everything thoroughly with dishwashing soap then anywhere there is remnants of glue I would remove it with a solvent like acetone (good ventilation please...no fire near by) This should remove 90+ % of the crud on the surface of the horn. If you are skilled at buffing...and I do mean skilled. You could brighten everything up by gently buffing with a flannel buff that has been raked out and had jewlers red rouge applied. Clean again then assemble. If buffing is a no go then use one of the polishing compounds as mentioned before and use a soft flannel cloth to apply. I use new diaper flannel from the fabric store. Gold plating is very thin so go easy! Matt

Reply To Post

2. by Christian Anderson
          (73 posts)

17 years ago

yeah, i'm doing a repad. so i will wash it with the dishwashing soap. i don't think I will buff it though because i am new at this and don't want to ruin the finish. thanks for your help!

Reply To Post

3. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

17 years ago

A product called"Twincle" works great

Reply To Post

4. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

17 years ago

Sorry it is spelled "Twinkle"