What legit sax should I get? Y

Currently, I am studying at In

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ki4qwq
    (15 posts)

16 years ago

Re: What legit sax should I get? Yamaha Custom EX?

I have played an 82Z custom back to back with an 875EX custom, and I like the 82 better. Check it out.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
    (400 posts)

17 years ago

i have accepted the fact that i will never fully accept a horn as the best. i was playing vintage selmer, now play on series II. i just switched from a C* to a vandoren optimum mouthpiece. i listen to fourmeau for a while and say, "wow i relly want to sound like him". then i pop in delagnle and really want to go for his sound. i played a yamaha the other day and was stunned at how tight the action was on it. then i play my series II and get back with the gorgeous french tone. then i tried a series III and it defenitely had its perks. my professor is one of the last hot classical players on a mark vi. of course his tone is maybe a little more classic than what the new young hot players are giving out. its fantastic of course, just different. i do believe that each horn has a perk that another wont. in the end you'll pick one and you will probably make a sacrifice or two for it. this is all coming from a young college guy and you being from interlochen should probably not be taking my advice. just a few thoughts i thought i would throw out there.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Azsax
    (47 posts)

17 years ago

tse's a yamaha guy, so he may push a yamaha if you wait to get one when you are with him. i play a reference 54. i have no complaints.

Reply To Post

1. by jaylaczsax
      (4 posts)

17 years ago

Tse actually doesn't "push" equipment per se. However, he'll most likely suggest a change of mouthpiece early in your fresman year. A majority of the studio here plays on Selmers. A majority of the mouthpieces are also AL3s. I think I'm actually the only student that is currenly playing the NC4.

Reply To Post

1. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

what kind of mouthpiece does tse play on?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jaylaczsax
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

Rousseau NC4

Reply To Post

2. by jobemg
        (2 posts)

17 years ago

What kind of yamaha does tse use?

Reply To Post

1. by jaylaczsax
          (4 posts)

17 years ago

YAS 855

Reply To Post

3. by lo pro
        (19 posts)

17 years ago

I got a Yamaha Custom EX almost two years ago and I love it. I have found that it works great for legit stuff. I had a teacher(a great classical player) who had played on many different selmers and had finally decided that he liked the SA80 that he had. He tried my EX and he prefered it to any of the selmers he had played.

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by JBTSAX
            (364 posts)

16 years ago

If you want to see what kind of person Steve Goodson really is see www.saxnation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431 I have called him on his dishonesty in this and other forums and he posts vulgar things about me and others who have disagreed with him posing as Gayle Roger, Sam Chirella, Johnny Galloway, Marshall Holmes and Sam McDavid. You can rest assured that the designer of the Yamaha Custom EX does not pretend to be other people on discussion forums to say vulgar things and then lie about it. Here is another website about the honesty of this individual. home.earthlink.net/~keithhenson/goodsonbeware.html

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
              (291 posts)

16 years ago

Please see

Reply To Post

2. by JBTSAX
              (364 posts)

16 years ago

All I have ever done is to expose the dishonesty and vulgarity of Steve Goodson in web discussion forums. When there is a clear record of deception in his other dealings, I for one have a very hard time believing any claims he makes about his instruments. Even if they are decent saxophones, I believe that the character of the merchant is just as important as the quality of the product he sells. This is an aspect of business that Steve Goodson apparently has failed to grasp in my opinion. John

Reply To Post

3. by selmer 4evr
              (309 posts)

15 years ago

A Selmer serie III in sterling silver or a mark VII

Reply To Post

4. by saxandbassplayer
              (42 posts)

15 years ago

I personally prefer the sound of the Series II horns. If you can go through and pick out a gem, they really are incredible instruments. My professor, who is a fantastic player (studied with Jean-Marie Londeix in 89-90 I believe), plays on a Series II and sounds absolutely wonderful. But in the end it's just what you decide. I don't think you should buy a saxophone based on other peoples opinions. Is there any certain aspect to the horn that you're specifically looking for?

Reply To Post

5. by selmer 4evr
              (309 posts)

15 years ago

JM Londeix actually prefered MK VIIs when the SA80 and later the Serie II were introduced he always would comment ,,,about the shame of Selmer leaving the Mk VII mindset ,, remember that the VII was a Hemke inspired design ,for legit work ,, unfortunately the Jazzers did not take to it and Selmer abandoned the VII concept ,,,many would have liked to have seen a second or third edition of the VII as that design would have evolved ,,,I believe the result would have been better than the Serie III,,,more open ,,less stuffy and certainly less colored , ,,the beauty of the VII ( and great ones do exist ) is that each player sounds like themselves ,,,,DIFFERENT ,,,,the SERIE line makes everyone sound the same they are just too colored !!! YAMAHAS ALSO

Reply To Post