My son is 12 and playing alto

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by zadge
    (10 posts)

17 years ago

Re: rent or buy?

What kind of Yamaha are you renting? It is probably a beginner model like a YAS - 23. I would not buy that for 2,000 because you could get intermediate to professional yamaha 52 or 62's on ebay for around 1,000. Also, I would go look at local pawn shops and ebay. You could probably find a brand that is more well known for less or around 500.

Reply To Post

1. by jaja999
      (15 posts)

17 years ago

As I posted on another topic, the Yamaha 23 is IMO the best student model saxophone available, though certainly not worth $2000. I would suggest dropping the rental program and going to a local music store or ebay and buying a used 23. They run $300-$500 used.

Reply To Post

1. by mjm
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

His rental is a Yamaha YAS-23.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

Check with the music store from which you are renting, even if deciding to buy a different horn. They may give you partial credit toward a different horn, depending on what you have paid them so far.

Reply To Post

2. by barisax999
        (400 posts)

17 years ago

i just payed $1900 for my professional selmer super action series II (on of the top choice horns amongst classical professionals). as big of a supporter as i am for the yamaha 23, that price is absolutely rediculous. buy a used horn. but make sure you have a tech or someone who knows something about saxophones play on it first so you dont have to drop $500 into fixing it a year later. personally i dont really reccomend the woodwind horns. i have heard mixed reviews, but in my experience(which has been contradicted by many people) they dont hold up as long. also, if it retails for $800, no dealer would charge over $600 and when its been used for at least 8 years, it has depecciated more in value than that. and ask the director when the last time the horn was serviced. if its been more than ayear it is probably really out of adjustment and will take some money to get playing well. getting started on the sax is hard enough with a horn that works :)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by mjm
        (4 posts)

17 years ago

We have elected to pass on the Woodwind/Brasswind instrument due to some tone issues with that particular instrument. Our band director, who is relentless in his quest for tone, was a great help in evaluating the instrument. Thank you so much for your input on this topic. I am lots better informed now. We'll keep looking. Thanks again, MJM

Reply To Post

1. by rachel92491
          (28 posts)

17 years ago

wow with 2k you could get your son an excellent pro yamaha. sounds like you might be getting chipped a bit// go to wwbw.com and ebay to check around on prices before buying. also asking on a forum helps too=]

Reply To Post

4. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

if he sticks with it, and you want to get an intermediate sax for the lad, try a YAS 475, they are strangely cheaper than 23's, and the keywork is based off a professional model, the 62

Reply To Post