Saxophone Forum

by BreckerBrothersaregods!
(23 posts)
20 years ago

Lower Lip Pain and discomfort playing

I have no clue why but more recently i have been experiencing lower lip pain much easier than before. Now, within just and hour or so my lip will hurt and I won't be able to play much altisimo. (I know the dead reeds Im playing on now arent helping me too much either). Luckily I ordered a new strap, and reeds. I should get them on either monday or tuesday. I think maybe the way the mouthpiece is going into my mouthpiece (via the neck strap) is causing part of the problem. I also have one front tooth slightly longer than the other - i think that might be causing a problem. I plan on having my teeth sanded down some time soon. Any ideas on why i am experiencing this lower lip pain and discomfort playing? thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by potterzclay
    (1 post)

20 years ago

Re: Lower Lip Pain and discomfort playing

If the pain is something new you should have it checked by your dentist. Maybe something that should not be ignored. If that is O.K. the the route I took may prove helpful. I always suffered with this and finally had my dentist file my front lower teeth even ( I too had one that was higher than the other). That seemed to help and certainly made the embouchure even which I percieve to be good thing. However, this was not enough help. I got a trick from an older sax player who would use cigarette papers folded and laid on top of the teeth to cushion the pressure. He did this on long playing sessions. The only problem is there are possible health issues due to the stuff they use to process the papers. Finally I went to a dentist who was also a player (Clarinet). He had studied everything that the American dental Inst. or whatever it is published and applied himself to assiting horn players. He does a lot of dental modification for trumpet etc players but for reed players he makes a mold of the lower front teeth and uses it to make a guard of some sort of plastic that fits over the teeth. This thing is the greatest thing that I have ever seen and eliminates all pain and you do not ever know it is there!!! The cost was 90 dollars and was the best money I ever spent. I hope this helps.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

don't laugh, but I heard you can take duck tape and make something like the same thing. fold it over and put it between your teeth and gum. but I found this to get in the way... I mean you would have to get used to it being there.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Jbreitm
        (5 posts)

20 years ago

if you are trying to cover your teeth you can use old fashioned denture sealers. they are wax coated strips you can find at your local drug store that come in a kinda purple white box and are for the lover jaw. The box probably costs about four dollars, though I havn't had to get any recently. They are so big that the box of 25 will produce 75 guards, and they mold perfectly to your teeth. they probably last for about 6 hours practice time, and because they are so cheap you can afford to throw them out after one use, though I usually get 2 to 3 uses, it takes a couple of minutes for the wax to heat up enough to mold around the teeth. you can find these strips at your local drug store in the denture isle. If I can find my box and get you the name I will.

Reply To Post

1. by kepa
          (1 post)

20 years ago

THe name of the wax is EZO or something like that. It comes in boxes of 15 and u just cut the wax the the area of the reed. For me it wear out after like 1-2 times of playing, bu that may be becuase i bite alittle:).

Reply To Post

2. by allaboutsax
        (7 posts)

20 years ago

Your problem is either one of two things irregular lower teeth which can be cured by buying dencher pads and rolling them over your teeth for a smooth finish. The other problem could be a lack of development of the muscles in your embouchure. I had the same problem but there is a simple workout. Form your lips like you are going to whistle now smile as wide as possible, due this about 50 consecutive times, you should start to feel some soreness this simply means its working do this 3 times a day

Reply To Post

3. by Spunky2sax75
        (75 posts)

20 years ago

I also have one front tooth longer than the other. After playing all day long at times, it hurts a lot, but there isn`t much you can do about it. Opening up your mouth a bit more and loosening up on the mouthpiece will help that lip. I get the same pain sometimes, but if you loosen your ombiture and tune up, it might help a bit.

Reply To Post

4. by Rben20
        (35 posts)

20 years ago

All you have to do to get rid of the pain is get a small piece of duck tape and put it on ur lower front teeth. It does the trick!!! What I also do is when I know im going to play for a long period of time is I go out and buy some mouth pain spray and just spray it on the inside of my lower lip. Your lip gets so num you wont feel anything! You can be playing sax all day.

Reply To Post

1. by silversax440
          (29 posts)

20 years ago

WWBW (which is a terrible store) sells an awesome product that I can't play without. Its called Lip- ease and I believe its made by BAY. anyway, its like a plastic and you mold it over your bottom front teeth and the heat and moisture, over time, makes the plastic hard. Great stuff, you should try it, hopefully it will help.

Reply To Post AIM