So I've got a few problems. Fi

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by thelittlemarchingone
    (50 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Help?

Maybe you should get your horn checked out. Once during a marching band practice my horn got kicked when I wasn't looking, and the lower end was really screwed up and I thought for a little while that I had somehow digressed like 6 years in playing ability, but it was just becuase some idiot kicked my horn and a bunch of keys and posts got bent. Also, having a consistancy in reeds really helped me out a ton. I started using Zonda reeds on all my horns now, and because I'm consistant I think my sound has improved on every single reed I play. So maybe suck it up and pay for a box of reeds (But that's awesome your director gives out reeds, we always had to pay a couple bucks a reed for ours!) But anyway, I would really get your horn checked out before you change any mouthpiece/reed type thing, becuase if it's just your horn you dont' want to change something with yourself that isn't broken. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

16 years ago

I replied to your email, but thought I would post here as well. I agree with thelittlemarchingone, that most likely you have a pad leaking; either a key that is out of adjustment, or a damaged pad. Has anyone else checked your horn? Most schools have a store or repair shop that they deal with. They may be able to send your horn out for repair, and they usually offer some discount. Although Prestini saxophones are a decent beginner horn, if you plan to continue playing through high school and into college, you are going to want to upgrade your horn eventually. I would try to find a store with a decent selection, even if you have to drive a few miles to get there. Try a few different horns and see which you like the best. One I would definately try is the Yamaha YAS 62II. They are an exceptional quality intermediate-pro model horn for a very reasonable price. Here is a link that might explain facings a little easier. Basically, the facing is the opening between the tip of the mouthpiece and the reed. www.saxophone.org/facings.html Here are a few online stores that you might want to check out as well. www.wwbw.com www.giardinelli.com www.music123.com www.samash.com Good luck! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by GSaxRGodC
    (7 posts)

16 years ago

Just a little clarification on my post, I only seem to be able to hit those lower notes if I'm really pushing a lot of air through the horn. Basically, only when I'm playing loud because then I can open up enough to get these notes now. I'm sure there is nothing physically wrong with my sax, as I myself have checked it out as well as my band director (who I just told that something felt wrong, but he did a full check anyway) and our wood-wind repair expert, and none of us have found any problem with the horn itself. As for getting a new sax, I think it would probably be a last resort. However, does anyone know of any horns, besides this Yamaha, that they would recommend for me? I plan to play through college, and while I am undecided right now about a major, one of my many thoughts was in music. Also, after speaking to my parents, they seem willing to back me financially if I were to get a new horn, so my price range seems to have expanded a little bit. Again, thanks for any and all help/posts.

Reply To Post AIM

(50 posts)

16 years ago

WHEN did you last have it checked out? It's so odd to think that your something just magically stopped working so that you can't push out the low notes without using twice the air and that the horn would check out perfectly okay... Besides something being wrong with your horn, I really can't see what else would be wrong. You may want another opinion... Did you try taking it to a shop yourself? What reed strength are you using? Did you switch to a harder reed and then have troubles with them? In terms of a new horn, I love Cannonballs. I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but I think that they're great horns (both beautiful and having a great sound) and espeically at the price - A cannonball would certainly get you through college if that's what you decide to do. I play a saxophone.com silver plated tenor, and even though I do plan on upgrading, it certainly got me through high school with a really nice sound and a fairly decent price. I personally can't stand Yamahas, but depending on your budget I would check out some cannonballs... Or if you've really got a nice budget some Yanigisawas... Once again, best of luck...

Reply To Post

3. by GSaxRGodC
    (7 posts)

16 years ago

Sax was last checked out last week. As I said before, I use all sorts of different reeds. I have a feeling it is probably either my pads, which should really be replaced but I haven't had the time to get it done between concerts, or perhaps something with my ligature seeing as it seems to be stretching out a little. I was told by one person that I might just be out playing my saxophone, what ever that's supposed to mean, but the sax should last most anyone through high school at the least. It's a good horn, has a good sound and everything, so I figure it must just be a problem with my pads/resonators.

Reply To Post AIM

(50 posts)

16 years ago

That is quite a possibility to. I played a Bundy II alto, but once I got to about 8th grade I was outplaying the horn - in other words, your abilities surpass that of the horn you're playing. I tried to do octave leaps and other techincal things that I knew I could do, but it never worked on that horn. When I got a new one, I got a thousand times better in about a week. Stuff that coudln't be done on that horn magically became possible. It was really quite awesome, you may want to start to think about a new horn, if this is something you really want to stick with, do in college, ect. And I think if it was a problem with pads of resonators, if you had a good check-up it would have been caught. Best of luck...

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Have you tried different reeds? Have you tried a different mouthpiece? What size reed are you using? Try adjusting the ligature on the mouthpiece. If you try another reed and mouthpiece and still have this problem, have your sax checked by a professional repair technician. Your band director probably has a limited knowledge of saxophones; more or less depending on rather he's a winds or a brass major. Didn't you say that you were renting your horn? What other horns do they have available? Try a few different makes and see what has the best feel and the best sound to you. We can share our opinions, and advise, but you're the one who has to be satisfied with your horn, so you're opinion is really the only one that matters. The new Cannonballs are pretty good horns. I really like the Keilwerth SX-90, but they're a little pricey. The P. Mauriet saxophones are also very good for the money. Still, I think that the Yamaha YAS-62 II is the best sax for the money. I wouldn't buy a vintage horn to take to college. Vintage Selmer Mark VI's and SBA's cost a fortune! That's just too much money to spend on an instrument to put through that kind of abuse! Vintage horns; even Selmer, can be quite tempermental at times.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

I must agree with saxmanjim..the yamaha 62's are great horns..I bought a 61 tenor in '75and still play it ..it's been a great horn. I repair horns for my livelihood..I've played on thousand of horns over the years..you should check our a number of different saxes..it's got to be some physical aspect of your horn..your horn could be leaking around the bow ting..take it to a reputable repairman..preferably one who plays the horn..all sorts of things can go wrong with a sax..have it checked out by a pro...I'd stay away from tiawanise instruments. Yamaha, Yanigasawa, Selmer. KIelwerth...you get what you pay for.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

most of the time, people who come into schools are not actually "experts" in the field that they advertise they are experts in. All those horns are nice modern horns (i wont say more due to the fact im partial to yamaha, owning a alto and bari) if you are looking for a vintage horn, try a conn 6m, the martin alto, and if your parents are willing to dish out the cash a mk. VI

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

vintage horns...also, King zyphers

Reply To Post