Saxaphones with an underslung

When I started playing alto in

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Saxaphones with an underslung octave key?

What I think you had is not known as an Elkhart, but a Conn 6M. What engravings were on it? If there was something resembling a woman, it is one of the best altos ever made, and even if not, it was a very good horn. If you're putting "Conn 6M Elkhart" in the Ebay browser, you're not going to have much luck. Just remove the "Elkhart". Ebay is not a great place to buy horns, though. Check Sax on the Web, here (Saxquest) and Craigslist/Backpage first.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Saxaphones with an underslung octave key?

The most valuable 6M's are the early ones with the rolled tone holes and silver finish. Conn 6M's from 1934-1947 had rolled tone holes. The 1948 and later horns had drawn tone holes and these horns are less valuable. After 1954, they did away with the micro tuner neck (although they still had the underslung octave key). 1959 was the last year for the lady engraving. In 1963, they went to stamped sheet metal guards. All 6M's were made in Elkhart, Indiana. Production of professional quality horns ended when MacMillan closed the Elkhart plant around 1970. The 50's 6M's are fantastic horns and still have the famous half-naked lady engraving. They usually sell for considerably less than the earlier horns with the rolled tone holes. I've seen them go for less than $800 on ebay in fairly good condition. Expect to pay around $1200 for an earlier model with rolled tone holes. Anything that you buy from eBay, expect to spend an extra couple hundred dollars to have the sax checked out, cleaned and adjusted. Sometimes pads and corks are needed also. I do agree though, there isn't a sweeter sound than a Conn 6M, and they play so easy! I wouldn't trade mine for a dozen Selmer Mark VI's! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Solystgade
    (3 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Saxaphones with an underslung

I Just aquired a conn with an underslung octave key and microtuner ,the tone holes appear to be rolled,.M250536. does anyone know what year this maybe from..? I read that they got rid of the microtuner in the late 40's.
    Thanks in Advance. 

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
      (644 posts)

5 years ago

Under the saxophone museum tab, in the upperleft corner of this site.

There is a serial number list that tells you everything you need to know.

Also pictures. Its like a real museum.

Right here on a saxophone site.

Yours is actually considered in the TRANNY timeframe.

It is actually a very deisired horn.

You dont even have to ask. Its all right here.

Amazing thing this internet. It is here forever.

Like this old feed

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by Solystgade
        (3 posts)

5 years ago

Thank you for your response and advise . It was driving me nuts . I happened to acquire it but am on tour at the moment . I sold my old Chu Berry conn and I miss that sound . It is as hard for me to tell from the picture what it was . I see now that during the transitional period some of the earlier conns Pre M series had the prefix M on them as well . I knew it did not make sense that it would be from 1968 having an underslung register key and microtuner . 
        When  I get back home later this month I will do a few comparison videos  of varied altos . And tenors . Etc . I have never been much of a gear head but as of lately I have become more aware of the placement of where the tonal centers and or sweets spots seem to be in various horns through our times . At least my humble opinion.. z  . . I , like  all
        of us here on this forum ...love this stuff !
        Ok all the best and thank you .! Jay 

Reply To Post