I've noticed a great variety i

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by WvuSax
    (3 posts)

16 years ago

Re: What's your setup?

Hmm... I see theres some talk about Martin saxophones going on here. what setups have U tried? What model horn? I play a 1948 Commitee I with its origional mouthpiece. It has a great jazz sound. But I'm looking for a classical setup. Any ideas?? Thanx- Owen

Reply To Post

1. by ki4qwq
      (15 posts)

16 years ago

A really good classical set up can be either of the following. This is what I play on, respectively. Yas-82Z, Hemke reeds, Selmer S90 180, Vandoren Optimum lig Selmer Series II Super Action 80, Alexander Clasique reeds, Selmer C*, Vandoren Optimum lig, Rovner Dark lig

Reply To Post

1. by saxcatch912
        (2 posts)

15 years ago

I use a rovner dark lig also. works great. I have had a YAS-52A for about five years now. Beautiful sound...it has howeevr gotten a bit worn after for years of marching band. yeah Selmer C*! i'm thinking about getting a new mouthpiece, think it's time. i just use blue box 3.5 Vandoren, seems to be working well for me.

Reply To Post

2. by ejvaleros
      (3 posts)

15 years ago

As of this post, I use a Selmer Mk VII Tenor Sax. Contrary to popular belief, the Selmer Mk VII Saxophone line is not all that bad. Just gotta dedicate time into making a good sound of the horn. In addition, I rotate between Selmer C* Mouthpieces, E. Rousseau Hard Rubber Jazz Mouthpiece, and an Otto Link Metal 5* Mouthpiece, using Rigotti Gold Reeds ranging from 2 1/2 strong to 3 strong, depending on what mouthpiece I'm using. As for Ligatures, Rovners are the way to go for now.

Reply To Post

3. by ejvaleros
      (3 posts)

15 years ago

As of this post, I use a Selmer Mk VII Tenor Sax. Contrary to popular belief, the Selmer Mk VII Saxophone line is not all that bad. Just gotta dedicate time into making a good sound of the horn. In addition, I rotate between Selmer C* Mouthpieces, E. Rousseau Hard Rubber Jazz Mouthpiece, and an Otto Link Metal 5* Mouthpiece, using Rigotti Gold Reeds ranging from 2 1/2 strong to 3 strong, depending on what mouthpiece I'm using. As for Ligatures, Rovners are the way to go for now.

Reply To Post

4. by Joe Bananas
      (71 posts)

16 years ago

For different reasons last months i've made several changes on my set and after try a lot of saxes, mouthpieces, reeds, ligatures, straps,etc...Finally i feel i have the perfect set for my taste and demands.The set is: Conn Transitional Tenor Sax Berg Larsen Metal Mouthpiece 2/120 La Voz Reeds (Medium)/Rico Select Jazz Reeds (#2)

Reply To Post

1. by sslavoix
        (32 posts)

16 years ago

ok mine is a selmer la voix series on soprano with a selmer c* s80 mouthpiece thats one of three cant type a lot in class right now

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

Selmer MKVI alto..Phil Barone hard rubber mpc #5..vandoren java reeds, #2.5 Yamaha yts61 tenor, circa 1972..otto link metal mpc..7.5 reeds the same..Yanigasawa curved soprano..selmer super session mpc size F.....vandoren reeds..2.5

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

alto: rousseau JDX8 mp, alexander DC superial reeds, BG metal jazz mouthpeice, yamaha 475 (yes, i know, but im broke) im still playing with my martin setup, going to try otto link metal mp, hemke/classical alexanders ill play with the lig later Bari: yamaha 52, berg larson 110/1 alexander DC superial reeds, any suggestions on a better lig than the stock one would be appreciated

Reply To Post

2. by ki4qwq
            (15 posts)

16 years ago

Hey! Nutin' wrong with a 475. There are certainly better horns, but a 475 is still pretty good. I played on one through middle school.

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

i know its a good horn, especially when its set up correctly

Reply To Post

4. by ki4qwq
            (15 posts)

16 years ago

yup. Are you planning on upgrading anytime soon?

Reply To Post

5. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

not really, i need to get my setup on my martin right first and play with a lig for my bari, any suggestions for that would be greatly appreciated

Reply To Post

6. by ki4qwq
            (15 posts)

16 years ago

The Vandoren Optimum ligs are da' schiz. Other than that, all Selmer ligs are good, Rovners are good, Francois Louis, etc. Check out www.muncywinds.com. I know the people that run the show. Call 'em, and ask for pam. She can tell you everything that you need to know, and offer great suggestions.

Reply To Post

7. by wkusax87
            (12 posts)

15 years ago

Cannonball Big Bell Global series alto (predecessor to the Stone series). University owned Yamaha Custom tenor Vandoren optimum TL3 mouthpiece for classical tenor with Vandoren 3's Otto Link metal 5* for jazz tenor with Vandoren Java 3's Selmer C* for classical alto with Vandoren 3's Selmer Super Session, D, for jazz alto with Vandoren Java 3's Optimum Ligature for alto, and Vandoren Master ligature for tenor

Reply To Post