i have been in the band since

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxophonist_104
    (148 posts)

16 years ago

Re: SAXOPHONIST BAND GEEKS UNITE!!!

more info on me: I have three close friends in band (two on clarinet, one on flute), and (hopefully) I'm going to be drum major next marching season. We don't mind concert season, but we REALLY love marching season. I especially LOVE pulling out my B7 mouhtpiece that's been in storage all concert season and blasting away the front row. I really hate it when no progress is made because of all the wimpy, whiny people who never show up for practice, make up excuses for everything, and NEVER STAND STILL WHEN WE'RE AT ATTENTION!!! So that's one of the first things I'm set on fixing when (&if) I'm drum major. Oh & BTW, I HATE egotistical trumpet players. I'm cool w/ some of them, just not the OBNOXIOUS, EGO-TRIPPED, HAS-TO-COME-UP-FROM-BEHIND-AND-PLAY-GODFORSAKENLY-LOUD-IN-YOUR-EAR-JUST-TO-PROVE-THEY-CAN trumpet players. who knows what I mean?!?!?!

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

want to know why some people dont like marching? where is it ever going to get you? unless you go into a military band, its completely usless

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
        (148 posts)

16 years ago

sry. i guess i got a little carried away. it's just that in the past, our band has been put down so many times and i don't like seeing it. that's why i'm so intent on fixing our band my senior year before i leave.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

i didn't realize you don't care for marching band. sry if i offended anyone else...

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

just my opinion

Reply To Post

3. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

The fact is that being a part of a poor high school marching band can be a worthwhile experience. It teaches you humility. : ) John

Reply To Post

4. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

true. it also teaches you not to overcompensate for the missing instruments in the group (french horn, tenor sax, bari sax, piccolo etc.)

Reply To Post

5. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

16 years ago

My, my, my!! I haven't been here for a while. I'm a senior in high school, and most of the people in our marching band and bandfront kind of want to be there, while about 20-30 of us want to be there. Our marching band with all the "bells and whistles" is around 150-175. I get sick of marching band after the first football game that I can't feel my fingers at. When that happens, I'm really in the mood for concert season (I GET TO PLAY BARI!!).

Reply To Post

6. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

bari is fun as hell... when you play the alto part

Reply To Post

7. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

i guess my favorite part is the friday night football games. especially when i play my big, bad solo on "Bad to the Bone".

Reply To Post

8. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

16 years ago

Your band is less than 20 people?? That's like the size of our saxophone section...

Reply To Post AIM

9. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

16 years ago

I play alto parts that go up to high D....on bari.

Reply To Post

10. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

its just high D

Reply To Post

11. by west
          (242 posts)

16 years ago

My band has about 50 people in it, and I'd say maybe 15 of us really want to be there and care about what happens to the group. It is frustrating! I like marching season, but I don't love it. I like performing a show incredibly well and then getting that feeling of acclompishment, but with practices and everything, it takes up so much time. I prefer concert season, when we can sit down as a group and truly create some music. PLus, I also get to play the Bari in concert season. Our band is not very appreciated at our school and that saddens me, but what are you going to do.

Reply To Post

12. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

similar to our school, but our director is unable to pick decent music, and is unable to direct in anything but 4

Reply To Post

13. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

Couldn't agree with you more, west. I find it frustrating when me and like 2 other people want to be there. Unfortuneately, I cannot say I feel the same accomplishment after coming off of the field. Not for long, anyways because the other school's band makes us look like we were sleep-walking! I have never seen our band, in all the years even before I joined, outdo the other school's band. It's because our school doesn't give a shit about our band as long as our football players make it to state. Oh, and it's considered taboo to be a band geek at our school. And yes, count, our band was less than 20 people this past year. That was because we had so many non-caring people fail their classes taking us from 27(ish) to

Reply To Post

14. by west
          (242 posts)

16 years ago

What is nice is that our band went to finals this year, and almost every sports team at our school went to CIF, except our football team which was only one win away. It is a good year to be an ELMO student.

Reply To Post

15. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

what's CIF? Our band (in the history I've known it) has never advanced. lol to being an ELMO student! ;)

Reply To Post

16. by west
          (242 posts)

16 years ago

CIF is like a finals or championchips (Championships ?) for the sports teams.

Reply To Post

2. by azurealto
        (79 posts)

16 years ago

i'm in a little band with my friend shawn (electric guitar) me, (alto sax) and sometimes my uncle (piano) we have recored about 6 songs so far, but there'll be more soon.

Reply To Post

3. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

If some jock called me a geek then expected me to turn up and play at his football game I'd tell him to get rooted.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

i don't really care if they call me a geek, as long as they don't do anything about it. but i agree. i hate stuck-up preps!

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

16 years ago

the total IQ of the entire football team is about 7, so its funny as hell when they try to talk, the the preps are just f___ing annoying

Reply To Post

1. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

16 years ago

*cough* nerds... ;)

Reply To Post AIM

2. by west
              (242 posts)

16 years ago

hehe I'm bigger than half the guys on the football team, so they don't bother me. If they did, I'd just punch them in the throat and end all controversey there. lol

Reply To Post

3. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

i would go for the adam's apple if i was on my own, but i just let my boyfriend take care of them for me!

Reply To Post

4. by cuber
              (653 posts)

16 years ago

if you get the throat, they cant breath

Reply To Post

5. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

16 years ago

*Ahem* Violent...band nerds... :)

Reply To Post AIM

6. by west
              (242 posts)

16 years ago

That is the point, cuber. I take joy in that.

Reply To Post

7. by cuber
              (653 posts)

16 years ago

if you think thats violent, you should see what happens when they touch my horn, and thats just the horn i use for marching

Reply To Post

8. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

no other violence can compare like when a stupid prep crosses the line.

Reply To Post

9. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

c'mon count, ya gotta admit that the football players can be a bit rude at times! at least they are where i'm from!

Reply To Post

10. by cuber
              (653 posts)

16 years ago

yea, but its not as if they are smart, so its not exactally hard to confuse them

Reply To Post

11. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

ROFLMAO! That's why they are the modern gladiators of the modern-day colusseum(spelling??) and we are the sophisticated ones sitting in the stands against our wills orchestrating their meaningless shows of strength with our musical talents.

Reply To Post

12. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

16 years ago

Well they can be, but I have really good friends that are playing football. And it's always nice to have someone 3x my size has my back hahaha.

Reply To Post AIM

13. by cuber
              (653 posts)

16 years ago

personally i dont find a bunch of people running around during a 'roid rage entertaining, but thats just me

Reply To Post

14. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

16 years ago

After being 2nd place in the state for two years, and the band tagging along to every game, some of our football players came to our Christmas and Spring concerts. One of the offensive linemen was co-saludatorian.

Reply To Post

15. by west
              (242 posts)

16 years ago

It's nice that they went.

Reply To Post

16. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

now if only the cheerleaders would come too...

Reply To Post

17. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Bye for the summer!

hey gang! seeing as how my parents don't know about my alter-ego as "saxophonist_104", it's not too safe for me to post while i'm at home over the summer. i'll miss you guys! post next August! (or so . . . ) Saxes forever! J (one-charachter symbol for a sax)

Reply To Post

18. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

I'M BAAAACK! ;) after a couple months of helping my sis move into her new house, starting a band and having it fall apart in less than a month, and having hardly any time to myself, im more than elated to be back in band camp! band will be a whole new challenge; the first practice yielded THREE band members showing up. i kid you not. 3. it hasn't looked much better since the first one. tuesday's parctice was cancelled because of tropical storm edouard (even though nothing happened). wednesday: people showed up for the 2:00-4:30 (music practice), but it rained before 6:00, so 6 showed for marching lessons. today: few people showed for music. idk about marching this evening.

Reply To Post

19. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

oh ya, i will be drum major, but b/c our band is so small, i'll have the same uniform as everyone else, and i'll just yell "BAND, 'TEN-HUT!" and "MARK TIME, MARK UP!" i was really wanting a different uniform so my boyfriend could spot me easier. but that wouldn't matter either, b/c they redistricted and the school he's from isn't in our district anymore. :(

Reply To Post

20. by cuber
              (653 posts)

16 years ago

futility marching band... dont get me started

Reply To Post

21. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

15 years ago

I won't! ;-)