Lots of famous jazz licks can

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jaaaaackkiieee
    (4 posts)

16 years ago

Re: bebop lines

c bebop is C D E F G A BFLAT B C and then down. all bebop scales are, are just adding that extra note (b flat... ect.)

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

16 years ago

Just to be clear that's a C dominant bebop scale that Jackie spelled out to be used over a C7 chord. The scales only help when you know how to use them. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by JBTSAX
        (364 posts)

16 years ago

That bebop scale was invented by John Phillip Sousa. Just listen to the introduction of the Thunderer March if you don't believe me. : ) John

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
          (205 posts)

16 years ago

John, The use of a chromatic step to even out chord tones on a down beat of a running passage goes much further back then Sousa, but yes he used it too:) K

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

16 years ago

Wow, Sousa clearly was the man. He invented a scale before it even existed.

Reply To Post

3. by Radjammin
          (255 posts)

15 years ago

Figured I would see if I got a response, I haven't chated in this forum in a really long time. I have a few new recordings on my site, www.vintagehorn.com if anyone has any time to take a listen feedback is welcome. Really just the first 4 songs are new recordings.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by clamness
        (13 posts)

15 years ago

or stick the jog in notes between g and a. the bebop scale is just a way of getting the tonic to hit on the one. check out bergonzis books.

Reply To Post

1. by Manchesteru13
          (4 posts)

15 years ago

What they spelled out is the bebop dominant scale which is a major scale with the chromatic seventh, making the scale degrees 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 Natural 7 8. This works over dominant scales. There is also the bebop major scale, which has a chromatic 6 instead of a chromatic seventh, making the scale degrees 1 2 3 4 5 b6 Natural 6 7 8. You can use this over a major 7th chord, and can also use it over a tritone sub for a chord and lean on the b6. They're both very hip scales to use.

Reply To Post

1. by clamness
            (13 posts)

15 years ago

Right, but I'm not sold on the hipness.

Reply To Post