Otto Link Super Tone Master -

Okay, a little background firs

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Otto Link Super Tone Master - is this a good/bad mouthpiece?

an STM is fine. wahat reeds are you using? and, it sounds like your just thinking about embouchure, but you need to take into account oral cavity position, both in terms of the back of your throat and tounge position. and make sure youre using a solid, supported airflow. lessons might be a good idea, too, in terms of developing these within some kind of a timeframe. and record yourself practicing all the time.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

16 years ago

the stm is a fine mpc. I've played a 7* for years, have tried all sorts of other mpc's and keep coming back to the STM. Lots of fine players have used the Links over the years, it's really one of THE jazz pieces. Just keep with it, try a variety of reed strengths, long tones, and you'll get the sound..sail on..

Reply To Post

1. by Joe Bananas
        (71 posts)

16 years ago

"Is the Indian, not the Arrow"

Reply To Post

2. by Funkyhamster
      (4 posts)

16 years ago

Alright thanks for the input guys... I guess the people who said the STM was a bad piece don't know what they're talking about.

Reply To Post

1. by Funkyhamster
        (4 posts)

16 years ago

Oh and sorry about the double post, but right now I'm using Java 2 1/2 reeds... are these decent reeds?

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

nothin wrong with a double post.

Reply To Post

2. by stealth_swimmer
        (7 posts)

16 years ago

just give it time. Honestly it took me a while to get used to switching to my otto link 6* but it was worth it. I'm still workig some kinks out I guess (I haven't played in a while,lol). I find that I, and other people who were playing the STM when I was in high school, simply were trying TOO hard with the embouchure. I find that instead of a round emouchure, a little bit more of a flat one helped out and sorta just "letting" the sound come out instead of forcing it too much. The main thing is just not to let too much air escape while your playing. And I find that I used a reed that was 1/2 smaller than what I used for classical playing with the C*. I used a 3 1/2 with the C* and a 3 with the Otto Link. Although eventually I'd move up to a 4 with teh C* and still a size 3 reed for the Link. Although I use a 3 1/2 on the Otto Link if it's a ZZ reed. It just takes time. Work those long tones.

Reply To Post