Saxophone Forum

by Jman23
(7 posts)
20 years ago

Looking for a new sax

I am curently playing on a yamaha 52 and looking to buy a new sax. I planning to try out the two new custom models and the selmers series II or III. I was wondering wich would be best to buy.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Looking for a new sax

ghaaaaa! not another one of this questions! See you are just listing names, you have no idea what you want, the II, III and custom models are 4 EXTREMELY different saxes, they cant be put in the same league. (the selmers are in a higher one ;) )

Reply To Post

2. by cavefish
    (20 posts)

20 years ago

hey i just bought a yts52 how do they play

Reply To Post

3. by thesaxman1965
    (2 posts)

20 years ago

Im definately no expert--grab your favorite mouthpiece, and hit the music stores--most all will let you play for free--find one that feels responsive to you---good luck-have fun-steve

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

I hear that the Selmers are made in French sweat shops using Afghani refugees. Stick with Yamaha. ----- Just kidding. I love my III. It plays so well, that I sometimes forget what a ridiculous country it originated from.

Reply To Post

1. by cyber75sax
      (33 posts)

20 years ago

I was wondering why my middle-eastern scales always sounded a little sweeter on my Selmer- those darned Afghanis.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

It depends on your preference, but the Yamaha Customs are definitely in the same league as the Selmers. If I were shopping for a new alto, my preference would be the Selmer Reference, Yani 992/991, and Yamaha Custom Z, in that order.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

i assume you're looking for an alto here, so i'll just say straight out: but the Keilwerth SX90R straight alto. My goodness, it's AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! i played one for the first time today, it blew every other horn i've played(including the regular sx90r i love s dearly) out of the water. of course if you're not looking to spend 4 grand, the regular sx90r, the yas 82z and the mark vi are a little chaper, and still good. but i'm serious, the sx90r straight alto is incredible.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I'd love to hear more about the straight alto. Please elaborate!!!

Reply To Post

3. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

it's much like the curved alto, but more freeblowing like a tenor, and resposive like a soprano. The tone is stronger and more edgy as well, i had no problem playing jazz with a C*. If anything, it feels like a soprano, but sounds mellower and deeper like a curved alto. It also kept that big keilwerth sound, which suprised me.

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Responsive, yet mellow and deep!?!?! Sounds like a good classical horn, too! The edginess may have to do with it being straight, which can usually be counterbalanced with a large chambered mpc. At least that's how it works out on my straight soprYani. If I ever look for another alto to complement my III, I'll have to try one of these straight altos. Another horn for me could mean a trip to a divorce attorney right now, though. Who's got these in stock in the U.S.?

Reply To Post

5. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

Ugh, WWBW's the only big name i know that does. If you're in the minneapolis area, Adam Bestler could get one, and has one you might be able to try.

Reply To Post

6. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

20 years ago

Now THAT'S funny.

Reply To Post

7. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I've found that talking politics has always lost me more friends than I've made talking politics. The same can happen when talking sax. Ever seen an experienced jazz player in a concert band lose it when he's told he's using the wrong mouthpiece? It ain't pretty.

Reply To Post

8. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

20 years ago

Just a reminder that this is a saxophone discussion forum NOT a political discussion forum. All off topic posts have been deleted. Cheers, MarkO

Reply To Post

9. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

that's really just as well, i was getting too worked up. my story can still be found at spike-spiegel604.blogspot.com if anyone's interested.

Reply To Post

10. by saxflores
          (18 posts)

20 years ago

well I play on one of the old 875 customs and it has served me quite well. The keyboard is very comfortable and the sound is just right. My jazz sound has a lot of debth to it which I like a lot. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post AIM

11. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Caleb, i just left minneapolis - I couldnt stop anywhere - got called back to work early - I hope this continental can let me average about 70 miles an hour...

Reply To Post

12. by Selmk7ag
          (5 posts)

20 years ago

just tried the new Reference alto, best alto Selmer has made in a long time IMHO.

Reply To Post

13. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

haha, good luck keith slmk7ag, did you try the 36 or the 54? as everyone probably has read at some point, i hate the 54, but to be honest, the 36 probably is th best current production selmer. P.S. what's IMHO mean? i'm not hip to the online community's slang.

Reply To Post

14. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Well I hit 95 today testing her out that was a mistake though, blew a tire on a - something. I love this car, it was well worth the 17 grand. well this lap top is almost out of battery so I am not going to get too long winded and go on to the other conversations.

Reply To Post

15. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

20 years ago

The web slang has gotten a little like its own language lately. IMHO means "In My Humble Opinion" or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Reply To Post

16. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

haha, IMHO. i prefer to just state my opinions as facts.

Reply To Post

17. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

lmfao - I was about to say the same thing!!!

Reply To Post

18. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

gwa!!! what's LMFAO mean? is there some sort of accronym extend-o-tron i can find?

Reply To Post

19. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Laughing my - I dont remember what the f was... laughing my something ass off.

Reply To Post

20. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

20 years ago

Actually, there is. Go to www.netlingo.com.

Reply To Post

21. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

I know this may be late and off topic... SPIKE... remind me to try out that straight alto next week when I'm in town. (or this weekend, or sometime) it sucks to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere north of st cloud mn. nothing to do! I'll have to dig the horns out again and do some playing.=) oh and as for "looking for a new sax" I'm a fan of old Conns, I have a '41 10M tenor and a 39 or 40 6M alto. Both are really nice horns and well worth the combined $1800 I spent (I know peopole... ) I think it's worth looking into over something new. What do you have to lose?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM