Saxophone Forum

by BreckerBrothersaregods!
(23 posts)
20 years ago

Growl?

Anybody got any practice tips or approaches to growling? I can flutter tongue very well, but every since I started playing a more open mouthpiece, it has been harder for me to pull off when playing softly.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cavefish
    (20 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Growl?

growling has nothing to do with your tongue . clear your throat like you were getting something out of your lungs ( snot , water whatever) or try to make a bear sound . do that sound while playing your sax thats growling

Reply To Post

2. by Spunky2sax75
    (75 posts)

20 years ago

The best way I can explain growling is to pretend you are playing a kazoo. If you do that type of humming into the sax, you can get a decent growl, but it takes a LONG time to get good at it. I am still working on it about 4 months after I learned how to do it. Another important thing to do is keep a lot of air going through the horn. I have found that when I growl, I need to put a lot more air through the horn than I usually do. I hope this advice helps... at least give it a try, this is how I learned it.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, it takes more ractice than you'd think. i've actually got a really good growl going now, but the only advice i can give is to practice it.

Reply To Post

1. by divesta
        (11 posts)

20 years ago

Every one growls a little differently, I have hear about some players singing falseto (singing really high not in the natural male voice) it has a different effect. I still don't have the growl down well, but it is fun as long as you don't do it all the time.

Reply To Post

1. by thattenorplayer
          (18 posts)

20 years ago

Hey, I've been playing sax for about 4 years and am wondering how to flutter tounge and what is growling, or if its even possible for such a young player to do it. thanks

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

flutter tongueing is basicaly like rolling an r, except onto a reed; i can't do it. growling is making vibrations in your throat which make a growing noise through the sax. a lot of people just hum, but i pretty much make the mel gibson noise into my sax.

Reply To Post

3. by thattenorplayer
          (18 posts)

20 years ago

hey thanks, ya i figured fluttertounging was somin like that. dang, sounds hard. i'll give it a shot. thanks again

Reply To Post

4. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

There's a lot of different techniques for the growl. There some people that hum, but I personally don't. It's kind of hard to explain, it's kind of like rolling your tounge on the back roof of your mouth. It's fun to do sometimes in improvisation. Blues and rock solos. God, don't go do it in some bee bop song.

Reply To Post

5. by Ozymandius
          (1 post)

20 years ago

golferguy675 said: "it's kind of like rolling your tounge on the back roof of your mouth." I do something like this. If you've ever heard a dog growl, try to imitate that, and then try to imitate it while playing into your horn. It's similar to clearing your throat without actually getting the nasty stuff out of your throat. I hope this helps, and really you just have to find your own way and go with it. You may feel stupid at first, but when you get that nice growl going, it can be really rewarding.

Reply To Post

6. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Flutter tonguing is also great foreplay. Chicks don't dig the growl nearly as much, however.

Reply To Post

7. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

IDK if chicks really dig the growl, but I really dig doing the growl & im a chick. i just recently learned how to growl. i achieve it by savagely growling into the sax b/c i'm "flutter-impaired". you have to practice it for a while and in a closed room b/c there is no such thing as a pianissimo growl.

Reply To Post

8. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

16 years ago

Your a bit late bud...

Reply To Post AIM

9. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

"bud"? Check my profile, Count.

Reply To Post

10. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

16 years ago

I can call you 104 if you want...'saxophonist' is just such a broad name on here...

Reply To Post AIM

11. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

yeah, it is a broad name. it's unique to the people i hang out with, that's why i chose it. you can call me 104. didn't mean to get so defensive. can i call you count? or would you prefer count spatula? i see in your profile that you're from texas. i started a conversation under general discussions titled "howdy! anybody here from texas?" i know i shouldn't expect replies within the hour or anything...

Reply To Post

12. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

16 years ago

lol, I don't care as long as it lets me know your talking to me...I guess I'll post there.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

15 years ago

To growl on the saxophone one needs to have a good long talk with their dog. To break the ice ask the dog how it feels about easy listening Jazz. I'm bringing this back from 2004 because it's so relavent for everyone..........Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Black Orpheus
        (23 posts)

20 years ago

I can't flutter my tongue like many flutists, but I can growl. I basically sing into the instrument on a different pitch than I'm playing. It was very awkward when I first started doing it, it took me a while to get the singing and playing to work together. I heard that you get the best results if you sing, or hum, a major third above the note you're playing on the sax. This seems to give better results, once you have a good idea of how to growl. Just keep practicing. It took me quite a while.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

hey it is very possible to growl, even at a young age dont count me out, grrr, im in my high school jazz ensemble, which may sound like crap but were VERY good, well, sorta, our ryhthm section sucks... i play in many other good groups as well, but besides giving credit to the youth, growling is required for my acceptance, but it took me all of about a minute to learn everyone was shocked at how i picked it up, humming or "talking through the instrument" is the way to do it or rolling r's like in spanish, doing all this while sounding sorta like clearing your throat into your sax, hopefully for your horn your not actually doing it, but practice it loud! and low! ...! i still find it alot harder to growl softly, such as the likes of sugar rum cherry, linocln center...??? essential ellington??? i dont know if they preform it yet because my director is on the board their so he yoinked the pieces before next year from everyone else, but still humming, rolling r's, phlegm clearing thing, loud and low to start

Reply To Post

1. by sslavoix
            (32 posts)

16 years ago

heres a crazy idea on how to growl i learned this in one day by myself ok tighten the air when you play and buzz like a trumpet out of the corner of your mouth it works for me i cant do the hum trick it just wont work....

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

how do you buzz like a trumpet? i've only played the sax. my technique is to literally growl like a dog or angry bear into the sax. it helps to try growling w/o the sax to your mouth first to see if you've got a good enough growl.

Reply To Post

2. by sslavoix
              (32 posts)

16 years ago

well i dont play trumpet but its a lot easier than the hum trick i can assure you i cant do that one but i came up with this one so i know it works you just haven't tried it so thats on you

3. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

16 years ago

You buzz out the side of your mouth while playing? Are we on the same page of what growling is?

Reply To Post AIM

4. by azurealto
              (79 posts)

16 years ago

you're all a bit late... this post is 4 years old. i havn't really started growling yet. i'll try soon tho.

Reply To Post

5. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

the subject of growling never grows old...

Reply To Post

6. by knorter
              (205 posts)

16 years ago

I'm not so sure about that :) Just being silly, lol. Have a great weekend everybody. Kristy

7. by saxophonist_104
              (148 posts)

16 years ago

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

Reply To Post

8. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

16 years ago

Well...atleast it's not altissimo :)