Saxophone Forum

by yoyo
(17 posts)
20 years ago

CONN

What would you rather have:a selmer referance 54 tenor or an old silver plated conn 10m in mint condition?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: CONN

I would want the conn 10m, just because of it's wonderful reputation, resonance, and old vintage sound. I also don't really care a whole lot for the new Selmers anyway.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

Ditto. I love my Selmer III alto, but I love my 10M just as much for different reasons. A minty 10M would be great - especially if it's got the rolled tone holes.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

20 years ago

conn. i like the conn, and if anything, i strongly dislike the reference. you have one, right? sorry, i still don't like it. i think it would be better to compare the 54 and mark VI(supposedly the 54 is an exact stencil) or an sx90r and the conn

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I looked at a ref54 and it looked pretty much just like my III but without the c# vent - aside from the coffee-orange lacquer job I don't think you can get on a III.

Reply To Post

2. by cyber75sax
          (33 posts)

20 years ago

The Reference doesn't have the vent?

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

The ref I looked at didn't have the vent. I can't tell you if this is the case for all of the 54's. Maybe there's variants available, but the one I looked at had no vent. Maybe Selmer's got middle C# trued by some other means?

Reply To Post

4. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

it shouldn't have it. like i said(or think i said) it's an exact stencil of a mark VI. the reason it's not as nice is that they didn't put the attention into it that they did the mark VI, the used lower quality materials, plus they didn't fix any of the problems the original had(most of which were fixed on many mark VIs) so no, it won't be fixed at all, C# will remain too sharp.

Reply To Post