Saxophone Forum

by gatlin88
(13 posts)
20 years ago

converting lackered saxes to silver plate

my bari is an selmer sa-80 and the lacker is so nasty and really needs to be relackerd but i was wanting to know if you can strip the lacker and silver plate it

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: converting lackered saxes to silver plate

It can be done, but be prepared to pay a lot to have that done for a bari. I figure at least $1000 on the cheap side.

Reply To Post

2. by saxman58
    (14 posts)

20 years ago

yes, you can although it won't be cheap. You'll have to remove all of the lacquer and then buff it before you silver plate it. Anderson Silver Plating in Elkhart, Indiana does great work. Give them a call. 1-574-294-6447

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

You can most certainly do this, but you have to realize a few things: Many plating houses don't do polishing or stripping. The laquer would have to be stripped and the body polished (or buffed) to smooth it prior to the plating process. There is some potential that the playability of your horn will adversly effected depending how this is done. Silver plating will cover *NOTHING* as far as scratches and marks in the brass. It will quite simply not fill in these areas. Silver takes some upkeep to keep it from tarnishing. If you're going for a silver tarnished look, this is okay, but you'll have to polish your horn and take it apart to do a thorough polishing every so often.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

You know, a way to save a shit load of money would just to get the lacquer stripped and buff it. I've got an unlacquered tenor, and I know people that have had it stripped of old saxes, and it blows alot easier as far as response and resonation. It may not make the hugest difference, but it's noticeable. I like the look alot better too. After a while it gets an old vintage look. Look into it before you pull out a huge chunk of cash and go get it silver plated.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

a grand I think is VERY conservative. I would say somewhere around 2 grand. For stripping, hand ragging, (Which is the correct way to do it.) plating and rebuilding.

Reply To Post