Saxophone Forum

by yoyo
(17 posts)
20 years ago

ponzol

would Peter Ponzol Model II V I Tenor Sax Mouthpiece Model 100 be a similar facing to a 5 link?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: ponzol

I might be wrong, but I do believe the Ponzol piece would be a little more open of a face than a 5 link. A 5 isn't very open though, so a more open face and a stiffer reed(you said you use 2.5) may do you some good. A 2.5 is no good at all. Especially for legit playing. For a jazz peice I use 3, but I could see someone using a 2.5 for flexibility. Otherwise, work up to a 3 or 3.5.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

20 years ago

legit? did you see where it said ponzol? and they should be pretty comparable for the tenor. if you want a ponzol, you should get the M-II plus. it's super loud and edgy, but that's the whole point of peter ponzol mouthpieces anyway.

Reply To Post

1. by yoyo
        (17 posts)

20 years ago

can i use 2.5 reeds on the m2 plus

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

go ahead, i won't stop you. did you win a lifetime supply of them or something?

Reply To Post

2. by altobari
        (2 posts)

20 years ago

I have played on a Ponzol ll-v-I for about 4 or 5 years. Mine is a 110 tip opening and I use a #3 Alexander DC reed and a BG standard fabric ligature. I find this to be a very easy and full round sounding mouthpiece. I think a 100 tip opening will be probably more like a #6 link, but I'm just guessing. You can compare tip openings in the Woodwind catalogue, but actually the same tip opening on mouthpieces with different baffles, chamber sizes etc. can play very different. I would try the ponzol though, I love it.

Reply To Post

1. by tenortunes
          (6 posts)

19 years ago

I'm trying a II v I and an ML 110 on a tenor series III What would you say is the differance between the two? I have been playing a link 8* for about 3 yrs. Before that a Dukoff 8. I'm looking for some kind of combination of the two

Reply To Post