Saxophone Forum

by m_moynihan1
(3 posts)
20 years ago

Joe Henderson's sound

I've been really getting into Joe Henderson lately. I love his sound. His tone is even and centered in all registers and it seems to be very responsive. It's dark but not stuffy, allowing for subtlety and projection. I've been looking into how to get that sound. I found out that Henderson used a Selmer Soloist, D facing. Of course he must have gotten work done to it. My source

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JS
    (3 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Joe Henderson's sound

If you want to "sound like Joe Henderson", start transcibing his music. Also, start transcribing the music of the people that he listened to - like Lester Young, Charlie Parker, Lee Konitz, Stan Getz, Warne Marsh - having a nice Selmer Soloist mpc/LA Voz reeds doesn't mean that you'll end up sounding just Joe Henderson - immersing yourself in his music will help you get closer to his concept!

Reply To Post

1. by krestonsmith
      (12 posts)

12 years ago

I agree  . .. .  well said. . .. .besides let the Masters inspire you to create and make music . .. .strive to find your sound so that someday people will say I want to sound like you. The more you listen, transcribe, the better player you will be and your sound will mature naturally. Like shoes, I have went through several set ups over the years mainly because my playing and ear had heard the horn differently. As you skills and listening increase, you will settle into what is right for you. However, even then you will probably still do soul searching. I still do and I have been playing for 25 years.

Good Times and Happy Playing . . . .

Reply To Post

2. by cyber75sax
      (33 posts)

20 years ago

If you are curious about short-shank and regular Selmer mouthpieces, Theo Wanne's website has some cool knowledge about pretty much every vintage style mouthpiece there is.

Reply To Post

3. by m_moynihan1
      (3 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, i know that man. I don't think i'm going to sound like Joe just by getting a mouthpiece, but its impossible to get that sound without a certain kind of set up. I'm talking complete tone quality here. Not conceptual. I've done a lot of transcribing of all the greats, especially the pres and Rollins so I know what its all about.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by coultsax
    (3 posts)

20 years ago

I saw Joe Henderson several times live up close. He had a beautiful sound, albeit somewhat small-ish. He was a very thin,almost frail looking, short man. Compared to Dexter and Sonny who were/are big guys with huge sounds. I'm convinced that physical make-up has SOMETHING to do with it (although Johnny Griffin is short with a big sound!) Joe played a 56,000 series ( or close to that) with the Selmer mthpce. He dug Stan Getz and Pres! I agree that to get his sound you really have get a similar setup, and then transcribe, record yourself, and compare, and adjust. But just like all the really great originals, you may come close, but never will quite get it. Joe was quite an original and a son-of-a-gun to transcribe. He also said "fall in love with scales"

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
      (90 posts)

20 years ago

Hi, I bought the Joe Henderson master class dvd!! That’s some good stuff. that guy has like unlimited ideas when it come to improv. I love Joe‘s patterns and licks they‘re awesome. Anyways, I think it's cool to study other player's music, technique and sound, but I also think you should have your own sound. I know you love his sound, but don’t get carried away. P.L. and M.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by schellerj
    (6 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, man! I dig joe henderson's sound too! I have one piece of advice for you! If you're trying to sound like someone you like, don't use their set-up! Just because u use the same reeds and mpc that joe did doesn' t mean you'll sound like him. The best way to sound like someone you admire is to listen to them and play their stuff!! Good luck!

Reply To Post

4. by poxoreu
    (2 posts)

12 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by [email protected]
      (1 post)

12 years ago

Re: I like to purchase Joe Henderson's Master Class DVD or VHS

Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of Joe Henderson Master Class in DVD or VHS?

Reply To Post

1. by krestonsmith
        (12 posts)

12 years ago

Re: I like to purchase Joe Henderson's Master Class DVD or VHS

Try Jamey Aebersold's Website

Reply To Post