Saxophone Forum

by Brede
(11 posts)
20 years ago

Very good deal on a selmer. Should I?

I'm currently using a yas-52, but when I mentioned my wanting to get a new sax, my band teacher told me a senior is selling his selmer for $1000. Well, I've heard his sax over and over again and it is one of the sweetest sounds ever. I know it seems like he's trying to rip me off, but he has that 'I don't care I'm just happy to stop playing' attitude... I don't know exactly what model is, all I know is it's a selmer professional, and it's alot better than my current one. I've got about three weeks to get it, 'cause school ends pretty soon. Should I take the step?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cyber75sax
    (33 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Very good deal on a selmer. Should I?

You should find out as much as you can about the horn. Selmer makes professional American and French-made horns. Regardless, $1000 is a pretty good deal for a pro Selmer. Those horns start at around $3000 for an alto these days. What kind of lacquer does it have? Is it engraved? What are the markings on the horn? What shape is it in? Does it need to be overhauled? Find out and good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Brede
      (11 posts)

20 years ago

It's in very good shape because the player never ever ever takes it home to practice. I think its unlaquered...

Reply To Post

1. by Selmk7ag
        (5 posts)

20 years ago

there's a very big difference in the resale value of a Selmer Paris horn & a Selmer USA sax. make very sure it's a Selmer Paris sax made in France. whether it's a Super Action 80, Serie II, Serie III or even a Mark VII it's worth a $1000. if it's a Selmer USA sax keep your Yamaha 52

Reply To Post

1. by Brede
          (11 posts)

20 years ago

I am keeping my 52 and buying the selmer, but would me having a selmer usa sax really matter? My school has a total population of 800 students, and about 14 saxes in jr high and senior high together.Most of them are still playing on rentals or old cheap school student models. Also, most of them haven't practiced in years, wich totally screws them up as they still haven't learned fingerings for high notes. I seriously doubt it would be worse than the rentals people are playing on. Also, I love the sound of his horn, and I'm incredibly eager to use it at Jazz tonight. Yeeh! Can't wait.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

I would go for it, a grand for either a selmer paris or USA is a VERY good price, on a USA that would be about a little less than half of what its worth, on a paris about a third. The USA's are not really incredibally good compared to any of the big four, but they are better than the 52. BTW, the sax only affects about 10-15 percent of your sound, the rest is you, the mouthpiece and the reed.

Reply To Post

3. by Brede
          (11 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, I still have to check how my meyer sounds on it. I finally got a new meyer 5m jazz, and it made an amazing difference on the sound of my 52. I dunno how it'll sound on the selmer though.

Reply To Post

4. by Roccosm
          (113 posts)

18 years ago

it sound's fantastic, I play a M5 and it is the best I have tryed and i tryed Many, although they donot sound a snice on Tenor???why??? i don't know.....

Reply To Post

5. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

The professional usa selmer are really bright, you would probably sound about the same on both, but tuning and keywork and other factors would drive the purchase I think.

Reply To Post

2. by Roccosm
        (113 posts)

18 years ago

Friend if it is a M6 You better grab it for 1000. If You don;t I would like to have it>>>

Reply To Post