Saxophone Forum

by briantroyano
(16 posts)
20 years ago

Selmer "artist"

does anybody know anything about the selmer "artist series and are they only good. {tenor}

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Selmer "artist"

They are the same as any other selmer except they have EXTENSIVE engraving, they are not necessarily better than the others, I played one a couple weeks ago, and my III was better than that one, though I have found out that my III is a rather rare one, my teacher who was doing the 2 year adjustment on it was absolutely stunned, he has not played a whole lot of them, maybe 10 or 15 altos, including one stirling model, but he did say that it was just absolutely incredible for tuning, tone and response, I think selmer might have messed up and given me one that was supposed to go to a clinician. But anyways, there is absolutely no difference at all between and artist and your standard II or III, just vast engraving. (And a several year wait.)

Reply To Post

1. by briantroyano
      (16 posts)

20 years ago

thanks i was wondering because i might buy one and for some reason they very good price i didnt get to test that one out but i do know it comes with a metal mouthpiece though that i test on the alto which was preety good, i also think these horns are like the yamaha allegro, only shops they like provide school insturments sell them? what did you mean by(.And a several year wait.)

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

I am surprised that they could afford to stock one, they usually run about twice as much as a regular model. I do not know what the yamaha allegro is - I avoid yamaha at all costs. I do not wuite understand what you mean in the second half of that sentence. The difference between the Regular models and the artist is that the artist is extensively engraved and you have to wait several years after you order one.

Reply To Post

1. by briantroyano
          (16 posts)

20 years ago

i meant shops that supply to schools like H and H, yeah i stay away from yamahas too, although i debating to either get the Selmer Artist tenor, or this yamaha soprano, the 475 i think, what do you think i should get.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I tried a 475 soprano and absolutely hated it. Tinny, tinny, tinny. No depth, no character. It's not to say Yamaha's higher end sops are crap, but I think the 475 is. I liked the Accent Korean horn much better than the 475. BUT, for the same money, get yourself a Vito/Yanagisawa stencil soprano. An awesome, richly toned horn at an affordable price ($1000-$1500). Sounds like the tenor is a pretty cool horn, though. Especially if it's as exquisitely engraved as described above. Could be a rare gem just waiting for you!

Reply To Post

3. by briantroyano
          (16 posts)

20 years ago

well actually i oringinaly wanted the yanigisawa 991 soprano, does any know anything about that,

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Oh, no, no, no, Selmer will send anything to any selmer dealer. Whether they vend to schools or not. The dealer actually decides what gets stocked, there is this one person in town who is an authorized selmer dealer, but he hasn't had a selmer in his shop in over 5 years, he only stocks yamahas. The yanagisawa is supposed to be the best sop there is, though the few I have heard sounded just absolutely like crap, the straight ones might be better. I do know that the III sop is just incredible, and the true tone.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

The Allegro is some intermediate level thing Yamaha recently came up with. Avoid yamaha at all costs? I personally think their new custom line is better than selmer's new series IIIs. They're much more resonant.

Reply To Post

3. by briantroyano
        (16 posts)

20 years ago

well then Why would you avoid them? i also think the new custom are good but i dont if better.

Reply To Post

4. by briantroyano
        (16 posts)

20 years ago

o wait never mind sorry about that, you were questioning him.

Reply To Post

5. by Bibimbop
        (53 posts)

20 years ago

I also think the new Yamaha Custom EX and Z are great horns. The have great consistancy and the intonation is much improved. I currently I play Selmers, but I've found the EX to be a great horn as well, and if I had the money to I'd definitly give some thought into switching

Reply To Post

6. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Oh, no, no, no, Selmer will send anything to any selmer dealer. Whether they vend to schools or not. The dealer actually decides what gets stocked, there is this one person in town who is an authorized selmer dealer, but he hasn't had a selmer in his shop in over 5 years, he only stocks yamahas ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The local store through which I get most of my service has run into the complete opposite. They basically carry LeBlanc stuff (Yanagisawa and Vito) and Jupiter. Talking with their chief woodwind guy (a friend of mine), they can't even become Selmer dealers unless they agree to carry the complete line of Selmer products including: saxophones, clarinets, flutes, etc from student to pro instruments. IIRC, they can't carry Yamaha because apparently Yamaha places restrictions in the number of authorized dealers within a certain geographical area.

Reply To Post

7. by briantroyano
        (16 posts)

20 years ago

so what exactly are you saying, dont get the tenor, (anybody know anything about yani s991 please)

Reply To Post

8. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

Hmm thats interesting - where I am, there has not been a single yanagisawa ordered in about 15 years through a twon dealer, actually I think leblanc has pulled the plug on the dealers here. Carrying all of the selmer stuff makes since to get started, they would want them to make a commitment, to prove that they are really interested in their products, but all of that doesn't make any damn sense - ludwig, I think the flute company is called (Or was it emerson?) is a different company, selmer only owns it. (BTW, a few months ago there was a post about steinway owning selmer, I had it mixed up, Selmer actually bought out Steingway and sons in 1995.) Saxes and flutes, and maybe a few mouthpieces makes sense, but everything else doesn't. I know my dealer doesn't have one of every model, and pieces. I can't imagine him ever owning one of every model for that matter, I have never seen a modern selmer bari up here, and the few bari players are rather well known, they mostly play VI's, yanagisawas or yamahas. If selmer didn't do this, you would ahve shops all over the place becoming one day dealers to order a moisture cap or soemthing like that. Why doesn't your shop become an authorized dealer? Even there entire line would only be about a hundred grand, tools for a shop run about a quarter million, without anything exotic. Bryan, I avoid yamahas because they just feel, look and are so cheap. So far I have seen two yamahas with glued on key cups. That removal of a bell brace, could only a be a cost saver, not this "to increase resonance" crap. The Bell key guard has a hell of a lot more metal touching the bell than the bell brace, so why not remove that? Buesher did it with their TH&C baris, put the keys on the inside of the bell, then had bumpers to regulate the height. And not to mention, a sax without a bell brace is pretty vulnerable, the asian saxes especially because the metal is slightly thinner and just ever so slightly softer than the rest. (Except maybe the series III - my bell gets bent quite a bit, and I never drop it or jar it, the only thing I can figure is that it is from taking the sax out of the case by the bell.) the custom is alright, but it is absolutely not a substitute for a conn 10M that is bigger, fatter and darker and about a hundred bucks less. Or even new wonder II's can be found for less than the custom on occaision. But right now, nothing can come close to the III I have. It is without a doubt the best sax I ahve ever played, more than two other III's, I do not remember if I already posted this, but I suspect that selmer might have accidentally sent me a clinician horn. Cause I mean, Da'amn this things plays good. Really damn good, phenomenal ones are out there, but you won't find them at wwbw.

Reply To Post

9. by briantroyano
        (16 posts)

20 years ago

yeah i have never seen yanagisawa either, reason i want to try one out is because they look good and the people at usahorn.com are in love with them, they say there the best build and best for the money

Reply To Post

10. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- If selmer didn't do this, you would ahve shops all over the place becoming one day dealers to order a moisture cap or soemthing like that. Why doesn't your shop become an authorized dealer? Even there entire line would only be about a hundred grand, tools for a shop run about a quarter million, without anything exotic ------------------------------------------------------------------------- The shop I speak of isn't really that large. I frequent it because it's local (this is in a college town of @ 13,000), and I work in this city, and the woodwind guy is a very good guy. $100,000 would be a large investment for a store that deals primarily with student rentals and so forth. Mostly, the instruments they sell aren't winds at all, rather they sell guitars and such. And it's not that I doubt you about the Selmer dealer not carrying any of their horns. He's probably still a Selmer dealer by virtue of being grandfathered in by some other arrangement or the like.

Reply To Post

11. by briantroyano
        (16 posts)

20 years ago

well the store im tlking about is run by boosey and hawkers, and theres other locations and other states so this is no small little store.

Reply To Post