Saxophone Forum

by Msty
(7 posts)
20 years ago

Reference 36 is a Super Action 80?

Help, I'm confused! I've been looking for a Selmer Super Action 80 (not a series 1 or 2) and the reference 36 looks very similar... which causes me to wonder if they are both the same sax? Grrr.... so difficult! ~Msty

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by FISHERMAN
    (31 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Reference 36 is a Super Action 80?

No it is not a s-80. Appearances are similar but stop's there. I have a Ref 36 from Saxquest and it is a outstanding horn. There is a lot of opinion's on old vrs new out there. I was fortunate and had a company such as Saxquest that had handpicked my horn for a customer out of several and I would not trade for any horn out there. Depending on what mpc and reed combo you use it can play any venue of music with the best of them. But make sure if possible to try as many and find the horn that suits you. A lot of people on this and other forum's have good and bad to say about different manafacturers and different artist. Well them people have recording contract's and are getting paid to do what I hope they love to do play music so they are doing something correct. Good luck in finding what you are looking for just remember take my opinion and all others with a grain of salt and go with what your heart and ears tell you and you will be happy. Nothing else matter's.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
      (318 posts)

19 years ago

From what I understand they are two different horns, just as FISHERMAN stated. I've had the pleasure of playin a Super Action 80 (yes, not Series II) Tenor. Circa 1970-1980?. My band directors. I found it a hard horn to get used to. I was getting a lot of backpressure, but that might be bad mouthpiece/reed combo for I only used it on a whim. And on that note it was almost impossible to hit a low Eb quitely. You had to blat it out in order to get a sound out. That was something I didn't like about it. But I think that might have been the operator (*cough ahem* ME *cough*). I'm getting a Selmer LaVoix. It's a Selmer Paris horn that's made in the USA. I think so anyway. It's only $1,500 of WWBW. Don't steal my horn, I have to wait for the tax return before I can get one *laughs* Good luck with your decision and happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

That Selmer Lavoix is interesting. I heard somewhere that it was Selmers new way of making cost efficient horns. Some people on SOTW called it Selmer Taiwan. They look pretty nice. Anyone got a clear idea about where it's made and other things about it?

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Well, the one thing that's special about is the fact that it's made out of red brass, not yellow brass. That results in a warmer, darker sound. If you go onto wwbw.com and look up the LaVoix Alto, you'll get an idea of what it looks, for I have yet to see a pic of a LaVoix tenor.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Red brass? Someone's handing you a line of CRAP!!! It's a rose tinted lacquer applied to the brass. Now there is an alloy that contains copper that has a reddish tint, but there is no red copper! Many of the old Selmers had the tinted lacquer.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

Uhh...nobody is handing it to me...that's what Selmer says it is. lol. Check there website. I'll double check. I do know that the brass has a 15% higher copper content than standard yellow brass (this might give it a reddish tint?). I'll look it up again. Coulda sworn it said red brass....

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan88
          (318 posts)

19 years ago

www.selmer.com/content/la_voix/index.php Note that in that link it will give you all the information about the LaVoix. The neck, body, bell, and bow are made of RED BRASS. Selmer says it is. I believe it's the second or third bullet down on that page. Happy saxophoning!

Reply To Post

5. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

18 years ago

for once i agree with connsaxjim red brass is 85%copper 15%zinc yellow brass is 35% copper and 65% zinc the problem with red brass is it is too fragile for the complex buttressing on a sax as well as the constant tesile tension on saxophones as the keys are continually compressed against the tension of the springs Buffet made one of these and yes I had one ,,,the prestige,,, and yes it was more delicate,,, copper being softer than zinc and adjustmets did not last . So the reddish hue on the reference is due to a different laquer .If you do not believe this why then is the tribute to bird limited edition not the same hue ,,,more yellow and reminiscent of the color of that era. still don't believe read this The final stage was the finish: "We opted for a finish with a warm tint, which gives depth to the lacquer. Finally, we looked through the old plans in the Selmer factory to rediscover that superb engraved flower whose finesses and beauty enhance the instrument. SORRY IT IS JUST A PAINT JOB!!!

Reply To Post

6. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

18 years ago

for once i agree with connsaxjim red brass is 85%copper 15%zinc yellow brass is 35% copper and 65% zinc the problem with red brass is it is too fragile for the complex buttressing on a sax as well as the constant tesile tension on saxophones as the keys are contin ually pressed against the tension of the springs Buffet made one of these and yes I had one ,,,the prestige,,, and yes it was more delicate,,, copper being softer than zinc and adjustmets did not last . So the reddish hue is due to a different laquer .

Reply To Post

7. by selmerfan
          (67 posts)

18 years ago

Yep, the Ref horns just have a different lacquer job. I got one, love it, but I'm curious how the patina will come out in a few decades...til then I'll play it and love it. BTW, I had a S80 Serie III, trust me, definitely not the same horn. Now if Selmer put together a horn with the Ref 54 alto bore (Mark VI bore dimensions supposedly) and put the Serie III keywork on it, then they'd have me happier! selmerfan

Reply To Post

8. by selmerfan
          (67 posts)

18 years ago

Yep, the Ref horns just have a different lacquer job. I got one, love it, but I'm curious how the patina will come out in a few decades...til then I'll play it and love it. BTW, I had a S80 Serie III, trust me, definitely not the same horn. Now if Selmer put together a horn with the Ref 54 alto bore (Mark VI bore dimensions supposedly) and put the Serie III keywork on it, then they'd have me happier! selmerfan

Reply To Post