Saxophone Forum

by cyber75sax
(33 posts)
20 years ago

New Pads

I'm about to send my Series II up to Emilio Lyons for an overhaul. Any opinions (heh) on which pads and resonators I should replace my funky Selmer browns with?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: New Pads

If you liked the tone of your horn with the brownies, then I'd stick with them. Otherwise, I think that domed metal reso's are the way to go - particularly the seamless ones where you don't see the rivet head. I have no experience refurbing with Noyeks, so I couldn't advise you in that regard, but I can't imagine what would justify paying the premium. They look "gimmicky" to me.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

you could probably ask Mr Lyons what he might recommend based on what you want to accomplish. If you like the sound and response of your series II currently, no change to the setup would probably be the smartest thing to do.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

Maniac, beleive me, thos noyaks are anything but gimmikey (sp) I have those on my junker for pep band, and damn that thing is loud - I use my crap S-80 on it cause that is the best piece that I have that is not already reserved for staying with my III, and with that S-80 I can hit a top dynamic of about 5 F's, with my pep band piece - too damn loud. people have learned not to sit closer than three rows in front of me at games...

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Interesting. Are you sure it's the Noyeks that make the horn so loud? Is it possible to play the horn softly? Funny. You put top shelf resos on your bottom shelf horn. Anything for fun, right? If loud is your game, have you tried Vandoren's Jumbo Java mpc yet? Try out an A55 or larger sometime. They'll kick you out of the stadium... I'm trying out the SaxGourmet pads on my 12M right now. I'm fitting them with flat resos in the spirit of Conn reso-pads. The SG pads are decent to work with. A very consistent finish. Nice leather that's not too thin. It will be nice not to have to look at moisture stains down the road as they are black pads.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, its definately the noyeks, I can still play softly, but not as much as I used to be able to, I used to be able to do ppp, but now I can only do about p, or mp depending on conditions that I am not quite sure of yet. Not funny, I put noyeks on my AS300 for pep band stuff, it needed new pads and so I might as well put in good resos too. The resos were only 40 bucks more with the set of jim schmidt pads. (those might contribute too.) I didn't want to repad the thing ever again so I put in permanent pads. The pads were 150 so whats another 40 bucks? And noyeks are far from top shelf anyways, and the AS300 is quite the bottom either. If loud was my game (which it isn't, its legit, loud is only for pep band.) I wouldn't buy a substandard piece, I would not buy anything less than a 110/0. What I use now is a modded meyer with a step baffle that has a minimum dynamic of about mf, and a max on that sax of several F's.

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

I'm about to aquire a YAS-23 for very little money. I may try my hand in repadding it myself and I've been considering Noyeks.

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Good for you! Have you done a repad before? There's no better way to get familiar with and appreciate the complexities of a saxophone than going through a full repad job yourself.

Reply To Post