Saxophone Forum

by wingstone
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Ben Davis Vocaltone mouthpiece

anyone know anything about these metal mouthpieces? I think there's some link with Selmer UK, and I'm trying to find a ligature which might fit. I've tried playing with a small Rovner lig: sounds just about okay at the top, but the reed closes up on anything lower than an A.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Ben Davis Vocaltone mouthpiece

I know nothing about the mouthpiece, but closing up could mean one or more of the following: 1) Your reed is too soft. Do you have other mouthpieces with similar tip openings that work with the reed you're using? 2) Your ligature is set too high on the reed, bring it down to the very base of the reed if it's overlapping the cut portion. 3) The mouthpiece is a turd. Either by design or someone messed with the facing. Is the metal plated or chromed? Does it show signs of having been worked on, meaning the finish on the tip and rails different than the table or body? Do other mouthpieces work on your horn just fine?

Reply To Post

1. by wingstone
      (2 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for replying 1) I think you're right. I've got no other mouthpieces with such a small opening, so not really anything to compare it to. 2) The ligature I've tried is possibly not holding the reed tight enough. The mouthpiece looks as though it has tracks on the side to attach a clamp-type ligature. 3)This is the most likely explanation. It looks like the mouthpiece has had a hard life as a small amout of the chrome has worn away, and there are loads of marks on the bite plate. Other than that, it looks fairly untouched (to me, at least). It looks nice on the bookcase anyway, so maybe that's the best place for it.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

...or you could post it on eBay as "exotic and rare" with "unique playing capabilities". Maybe you'll get $50 for it. Just kidding.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

An afterthought... I played a Beechler 6S6 on my alto once, and found it useless below middle G. It had a very short facing. A real rocker at the high end of the horn, but the low end was crap. I remember veins bulging from my forehead trying to play it. I may have had the wrong reed on it. Most mouthpieces do take some geting used to, so with time, you might be able to work things out, but it might just be a bad mpc.

Reply To Post