Saxophone Forum

by cavefish
(20 posts)
20 years ago

LEAKS ON THE TENOR

I JUST PUT RUNYON PAD SAVER ON MY PADS AND FOR SOME REASON I HAVE PROBLEMS GOING FROM A D TWO LINES ABOVE THE SCALE TO A G IN THE SECOND OCTIVE

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cavefish
    (20 posts)

20 years ago

Re: LEAKS ON THE TENOR

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FIND LEAKS

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

Is the pad saver gunking up the body octave vent? Use a pipe cleaner from the outside or a bent paper clip from the inside to be sure the vent isn't clogged. Clogged (partially clogged) octave vents can do weird things to your horn. I've never used the stuff, so I don't know what it does to the pads. If it makes them swell at all, you might have leaks developing if one swollen pad is lifting the action on another. The best way to look for leaks is with a rope light jammed up your horn's kazoo. Undo the springs and see if gravity (only) will close the pads thoroughly (holding the horn horizontally). In a darkened room, very little, if any, light should be escaping between the pad and tonehole. You shouldn't have to mash the keys down to play. This is the most thorough way I know of to take care of pad leaks.

Reply To Post

1. by cavefish
        (20 posts)

20 years ago

you know, i did'nt think about the body octive vent being clog i was just checking if it was working properly . the other notes work fine though( in octive ) its too light in my house right now .i tried using a small mag light throught the top of the neck , resting on the the body octive vent we we see later thanks brother

Reply To Post