Saxophone Forum

by SelmerParisPassion
(59 posts)
20 years ago

Conn Straightneck C Melody Identity Issues

I bought this horn off of eBay for 200 bucks, at first thinking it was an alto sax, despite the "C" in the serial number. Being mostly an alto/soprano player, I didn't even know that straight neck C Melodies existed, so assumed it was an alto. Shows we learn something new everyday. Here's the link if it helps cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3725825112&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 The serial number is 1119954 C 69912 L I'm not sure what type it is... I'm guessing it's a New Wonder, or is the straightneck in a category all its own? That, and about how much is this sax worth? I'm just wondering if I got ripped off or not. I had that happen with an Olds and Sons tenor not too long ago.... :-/ Thanks for your time Christie J.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Conn Straightneck C Melody Identity Issues

even if it's crap, it would still be fun to work on and tune up. for me $200 isn't that bad of a price for entertainment that would last for a few months. I'm just looking on the bad/bright side. A few years ago I saw a lot of cmels for $300-400 at some local shops, and I was told they arnt worth much more than that. Apart from the rare ones out there, I'm just talking about common everyday ones.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

200 bucks for a C-Melody in average shape is an average price. I wouldn't say the horn is worth that much more until it's been totally worked over with new pads and such. Even then, I've rarely seen C-Melody horns go for over $300. They're just not in high demand. I saw a really sweet one go for around $400, but it was in VERY good shape.

Reply To Post

3. by gedawg17
    (7 posts)

20 years ago

What you have is a nickel plated unengraved c melody from 1921. If you want to get this engraved, and soup it up, here's a link to some pics of one just like this that got engraved. It's beautiful. www.worldwidesax.com/new_page_1.htm

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

maniac you are a little bit behind the times - completely set up conns are going for about a grand now, a functioning C mel is good for about 300 (ebay is not a blue book, but it is hit or miss.) at least, probably up to 450. Certain models of C melody even go up to 4 grand!!!

Reply To Post

1. by gedawg17
        (7 posts)

20 years ago

like what? that cigar cutter they have in the gallery? ok so maybe one or 2 of the very rare, mint condition will go for very high but only an amatuer would pay about a grand for a conn c melody. if hers is in ok-good condition, which it looks like, then she paid a fair price for it!

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

the selmer C melodies have been at about 3-3500 dollars for a long time. The 4 grand ones are the conn virtuoso deluxe models, which are close to impossible to find - actually I only know of 2 to exist. You obviously are behind the times as well. The europeans are really starting to drive up the prices. I think that I might pay a grand for a C mel that has all new pads, bumpers, regulation and springs, right there is about 500 bucks worth of work which works out to about a grand. But I am more of an original type.

Reply To Post

2. by gedawg17
          (7 posts)

20 years ago

thank you for sounding like a......... you are talking about a total of maybe only a few specialized c melodies whereas i am talking about mainstream ones such as the one she got, which is obviously a virtuoso or s selmer paris model. also, this isn't europe. wtf?

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

There are thousands of these very expensive c melodies around, and about 15 years ago, those were worth maybe 500 bucks. Though I have to commend you, this isn't europe, such astuteness. I bet you wouldn't be surprised to know that this isn't saudi arabia either. The thing is though, saudi arabia largely controls the price of gas, remember, we are not in saudi arabia. Trippy huh?

Reply To Post

4. by gedawg17
          (7 posts)

20 years ago

true. every time i try to sound ....., you just keep raising the bar. saudi arabia??? you somehow can't seem to get that i am talking about her nickel plated c melody but if you want to blow thousands on it, i am sure she would be perfectly willing to let it go. a fool and his money are soon parted.

Reply To Post