Saxophone Forum

by Spunky2sax75
(75 posts)
20 years ago

* = Improving

Does anyone have any tips for improving? I am working on improving, but it is sketchy because I am pretty new at it. Any help would be appreciated, so if you have any ideas at all, throw them out and I`ll give them a try.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: * = Improving

That's probably one of the most broad questions you could ask in music. That's like saying"I am working on living, any ideas". lol, but seriously, in what field? Give me something to narrow it down.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

It really sounds like you could use a good private teacher to help you. You might look into that if you haven't already. Just don't find one at some town music shop, the best teachers are almost always independant.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Get the Rubank Method blue books - all of them (Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced I & II.) I've been playing for over 20 years, and I still use the blue books as part of my practice routine. Also, get Rubank's "Selected Studies" book. All their books are inexpensive and jammed full of exercises. The blue books even have a lesson plan built into them so you can help yourself along. These are not Jazz books, per se, but great for improving your technique. The Selected Studies book has two studies in every key - major and minor. These would help develop technique and ideas that you might apply when playing jazz or improvising. Private lessons are also the way to go. Not that you can't become a great player without them - it just helps if you're looking to improve faster than you're currently happy with. I might start taking lessons from one of Larry Teal's students before too long. I'm good enough for what I do currently, but I'd like to get to the next level.

Reply To Post

3. by Spunky2sax75
    (75 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks to everyone who responded and stuff. I am mostly looking into Jazz improving. I will hopefully be taking some lessons this summer from a guy I know who plays bari professionally in New York. I actually have two of the Blue Books and I like them too. I will probably start using them a bit more than I have been to help improve. I`m already ahead of most players my age, so I`m in no big hurry to get anywhere fast, just gradually improve over time. Thanks for any other ideas you have.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

For rythm, get the Bona book. That book will drive you insane, but it really helps rythm. And another thing for jazz and helps you with style, interpretation, phrasing and rythm is the Dan Higgins Series. Try his jazz etudes book first. It's made specifically to stump you at rythms though, so watch out. You can get them at Jamey Aebersold's website, Jazzbooks.com. You'll definetly need a teacher to help you through them. Try and also pick out patterns of people's solos that you transcribe, and learn them in all 12 keys, so you can use them in your solos as well. When you do this, you can analyze the solo and see which steps and modes and scales they are using, and it adds on to you musical vocabulary.

Reply To Post

4. by peter090
    (155 posts)

20 years ago

Do long tones and aim at getting a good sound. This is something you can do on your own and it will strenghten all parts of your playing regardless of your level of development.

Reply To Post

1. by wesmiller
      (55 posts)

20 years ago

Spunky: Nice web site! You guys are serious;thats great to see . I can also see why you are feeling pressure to improve. As much into music as you are: you need a private teacher. Keep Blowin!

Reply To Post