Saxophone Forum

by FFblizzardfreak
(1 post)
20 years ago

Helmke Alto Saxophones

EBay has been recently selling these saxophones at around $250, and I was wondering if they're a reliable brand of saxophone to buy?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jack Cici
    (87 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Helmke Alto Saxophones

dEAR SAXOPHONIST,BEWARE OF HELMKE SAXES.THEY'ER JUNK.THEY'RE MADE OF FIBERGLASS AND BREAK VERY EASILY.WHEN YOU TRY TO COMPLAIN TO HEL;MKE THEY DON'T REPLY.DO NOT BUY THEIR SOPRano saxes.

Reply To Post

2. by brad.withers
    (2 posts)

20 years ago

i was wondering about them too. does anyone have any information?

Reply To Post

1. by Jack Cici
      (87 posts)

20 years ago

CHEAPLY MADE SAXES

DO NOT BUY ANY BRAND YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH AS HELMKE,MONIQUE AND ANY CHINESE INSTRUMENTS .SOME BRANDS I WOULD SUGGEST ARE CONN,KING,SELMER,YAMAHA,KEILWERTH,YANAGISAWA AND BUESCHER.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

The only information I can offer is that they have a very poor reputation for quality. Just as they cost near nothing brand new, they have virtually nil in the way of resale value. They tend to be especially poor for beginners, as practice is self defeating when you're horn is falling apart or constantly out of adjustment.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
        (86 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, I was looking at them too. They look really neat in red, but I was skeptical, because I'd never even heard of the brand. They also had Moniques selling for a similar price. I guess you get what you pay for.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by cornodibassetto8
      (2 posts)

20 years ago

I've been looking at these two with a great deal of curiosity. I never would have bought one, but a friend of mine bought a Wexler alto from the same seller last year, and he loves it. I played the Wexler, and it is quite nice. I would never give up my Conn Chu Berry though! As I said, my friend has a Wexler, and the Helmke's are the same horn with a different name. His alto has held up well. Only physical thing I noticed is the laquer on the keywork (right around the pearls) was a little faded or frosty. I'm thinking of the curved soprano, just to have something to hack around on. I am reluctant only becuase I'm a vintage horn guy. Another curiosity...my friend may have a new, shiny silver sax, but people find my 1929 Conn with the aged, frosty silver finish and dents and marks too be 10 times as gorgeous! Thanks for listening! --Sean

Reply To Post

4. by brad.withers
      (2 posts)

20 years ago

i recently bought a curved soprano sax, and i love it. no, it's no compare to my Cannonball Big Bell, but it is still a good sax, especially for just playing around with. it's not top quality, but hey,,it was only like $280 with shipping and handling. it's a good buy just for fun, but nothing professional.

Reply To Post

5. by dm300e
      (9 posts)

20 years ago

I am glad to find this infromation. I was wondering about these instruments because of their price tag. I am in the market for an alto saxophone to begin taking lessons and I though this was a great way to start. Can anyone recommend a decent instrument for a 40 something beginner?

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

I VERY stronly reccommend the Yamaha YAS 62II. It is a pro sax for 100 bucks more than the student model. I sold mine, but while I had it, I enjoyed playing on it(I just bought it out of curiosity, I didnt sell it because it was bad). I just had it for a couple of months and sold it for 100 bucks more than I bought it for. I was very skeptical at first because of the price, but it's a good quality sax. I could think of nothing better for a beginner.

Reply To Post

1. by dm300e
          (9 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you. I will look for one.

Reply To Post

1. by Jack Cici
            (87 posts)

20 years ago

NO NO NO!!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY HELMKE SAXES BECAUSE EVERY PLACE I'VE LOOKED UP INFO ABOUT THEM D=SAYS THEY'RE JUNK.DO NOT BUY ANY BRAND OF SAX FOR UNDER $300 UNLESS ITS A NAME BRAND SUCH AS SELMER,KING,CONN,YANIGASAWA OR KEILWERTH.

Reply To Post

2. by reagentz
            (7 posts)

20 years ago

I just about purchased a Helmke myself, but I knew the price was to good to be true for a nice new shiney sax. Back in high school when I played sax a shiney new sax was around 3-4 grand the bari I played new was around 7 grand. So when I saw a new sax for 220-280 bucks with shipping I was sceptical. I just kept them monitored and done my research and in the process I found a used Selmer Bundy Tenor for 300.00 it's a little dinged and the lacquer is a bit frosty on 60% or more of the instrument but I would rather buy a dinged, well used Selmer than a new shiney Helmke. I also called my local music shop that works on band instruments such as this and they said they would not work on my Helmke period! if I got it. hahaha. I called back and said I got a Selmer Bundy sax he said "bring it on down! I'd love to take a look at it!" haha so that said it all for me.

Reply To Post

3. by Saxman2200
            (64 posts)

20 years ago

I have been looking at sax's and was very interested to see a professional sax go for 700 bucks. But when I looked into it the brand that I was looking at (Monique) had a horrible rep. for quality and consistancy. In fact, I was even sternly warned against the dealer I was looking to buy from (Dominique). I have heard the same story from Helmke, and there where a few others I was warned agianst, but I can't remember them. I highly doubt if you can find a quality sax for under a grand. I myself am about to bite the bullet and spend 3 grand on a Keilwerth SX90R. Which you could also look into. They seem to be very reputable.

Reply To Post