Saxophone Forum

by Rben20
(35 posts)
20 years ago

Kangaroo Pads?

Anyone heard of these pads? They are grey pads and said to be "the best pads on the market." Anyone have them or know how they sound? Please give your comments. Saw them on ebay.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cyber75sax
    (33 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Kangaroo Pads?

Dudes were raving about them at the NASA conference. My advice, check 'em out and if they don't work, change 'em.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

I've used them on a bari sax, and they are VERY quiet, as proclaimed. I think it's because it's a nice heavy layer of leather - not just an ultra-thin layer on the felt and board. Also, they feel like quality coat or glove leather. On some pads, the leather doesn't even look like leather - like it's surface treated too much - almost "plasticy". The kangaroo pads are very natural feeling. I don't think that every horn needs kangaroo pads, but if you want to go the extra mile, I think it's worth it. I don't think that they make the horn sound any differently, though they might hold up better over the long haul as the leather is so thick. I just wish they were available in natural colors instead of only black or white (at least where I've seen them...), though I have to say that black looks pretty cool - especially with a bright silver resonator on them.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

BTW - eBay pad sets are rip-offs. Measure the inside of your pad cups with calipers and custom order them from musicmedic.com. You'll pay only half of the eBay prices I've seen.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

Kangaroo leather is reputed to be more durable than cowhide used in cheaper pads. Though, some cowhide is clearly superior to others in this regard. How this Kangaroo leather holds up compared to better cowhides, I don't know. I've seen a number of leather baseball gloves made out of Kangaroo that are supposed to be more durable and supple than premium cowhide. Maybe they have a point, maybe it's just marketing and an excuse to charge twice as much for a glove. I have heard a couple of things from technicians that sounds like sage-wisdome to me: Leather isn't the only concern in determining the quality of the pad. How the pad is treated is far more important, as is the quality of the felt supporting it. Poor treatment can cause stickiness, under-treatment leaves the leather poreous. Felt is responsible for maintaining the fit of the pad against the tonehole to whatever extent it can. I'm not a technician, but I'd rather have good quality cowhide pads on my horns than kangaroo pads of unknown quality.

Reply To Post

2. by tweetycontrabajo
        (1 post)

13 years ago

never had problems with musicmedic.com? every time i bought from them, they never send the entire order, y i have to make a claim to they send the full order

Reply To Post