Saxophone Forum

by Hexaclon
(90 posts)
20 years ago

From Alto to Tenor...

Hi guys I play tenor and I'm interested in playing alto. I got an alto but, the thing is that when I play the alto it sounds like a tenor. I was wondering if you guys had some tips or tricks for me.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: From Alto to Tenor...

It's probably just going to take sometime to adjust. If you maybe want to speed up the process, try listening to a lot of alto playing; like whole CDs after CDs. Also, you might still be trying to use your tenor eoumbechure, so try adjusting it a little bit.

Reply To Post

1. by Spunky2sax75
      (75 posts)

20 years ago

I agree with golferguy about your embechure. I play alto, tenor, bari, and soprano, and I pretty much have the embechures down to a T. It takes a while to get used to the different embechure and mouthpiece. It also takes a differet amount of air. Just practice the alto more and you will get thehang of it.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
        (90 posts)

20 years ago

Re: From Tenor to Alto*...

Thanks guys! I'm curently doing all my warm up execises with both instruments, first tenor then alto. Plus I was placing the alto mouthpiece like it was my tenor. Thanks Peace, Love and Music

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

20 years ago

got any tips for switching for alto to tenor? Is there something I can do to help with the bigger mouthpiece?

Reply To Post AIM

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

"Is there something I can do to help with the bigger mouthpiece?" Practice

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

20 years ago

Ha ha, gotcha!

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Kitch22
        (98 posts)

20 years ago

Generally, one uses more mouthpiece with their top teeth on a tenor. That should help.

Reply To Post

1. by PIP
          (29 posts)

20 years ago

I am having a related problem. I am an alto player who has just purchased a jupiter artist series tenor. Everytime i play it i get squeaks, am unable to jump dynamics quickly, and whenever I play high I can't jump down to low notes without getting a squeak or it sounding like a slur. It's starting to get REALLY annoying. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

20 years ago

Well, I've heard things about the Jupiters like what I have about the cannonballs. They claim to be pro quality but dont really live up to the standard. But then again, I don't really think the horn could make you squeak, but it could make he bad response issues you're having. But it might be all the mouthpiece lig reed setup. What do you use as far as that? You may need to change reed sizes. Also, something a proffesional friend told me a long time ago that I've always found true, is check the chamber in your mouthpiece. Look in it, and if that opening is square, get rid of it. A square chamber does not belong on a circular neck. Saxman or whoever....don't jump me for this and call it rediculous, it came from someone who knows a lot more about what they are talking about than you.

Reply To Post

1. by Selmk7ag
              (5 posts)

20 years ago

square chamber piece on round neck

lol, I hate those sq chambered pieces....S80, never figured out why Selmer ever made em.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

I happen to have a new Jupiter 4C plastic mouthpiece in the 'ol shoebox, and I'll say it has more of a tendency to squeak than most other mouthpieces I've played. A cheap alternative that plays with similar tone to the Jupiter stock mouthpiece (but with much less squeaking) is the Yamaha 4C. The Jupiter I've got has a round chamber - like they were going after a Larry Teal design, but the walls are quite bowed and it's just kind of a unique design. On the brighter side, which is why they can tend to be squeaky unless they get worked on and adjusted a little bit.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
              (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yamaha also makes a hard rubber version of the 4C that comes with the customs. I like how it plays. The yamaha 4c was actually designed by Ressaou(however you spell his name). It's strictly legit piece, far to wimpy for jazz, with the small chamber. I'm not sure why you would spend the time or money to adjust a plastic mouthpiece though.

Reply To Post