Saxophone Forum

by Jango
(13 posts)
20 years ago

Removing dents

I'm no tech but removed a dent from a used Mark VI Tenor using one of those Pop a Dent kits they sell on TV for about $20. Cam with a hot glue gun and directions. Might just hang onto it. It's a real player. Jango

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spunky2sax75
    (75 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Removing dents

Maybe this is just me, but if I had a vintage Mark VI Tenor, I wouldn't go using some crappy 20 dollar dent puller from TV to get a dent out. Next time you might want to have a professional with real equipment do it.

Reply To Post

1. by Jango
      (13 posts)

20 years ago

I couldn't afford a pro job. You'd never know the dent was there, can't even see where it was. Crappy? Could you be more specific?

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

ummm ok... First, I belive that dent puller is for sheetmetal, not brass. If you watch the commerical they pull the dent out too far and it just springs back into shape. Brass won't really do that, it will pull out and just stay there. It's really cool that it worked for you, but I wouldn't push my luck too much with it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I tinks Jango got mui mui lucky!!

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

I myself haven't decided if that Jar-Jar reference is funny or disturbing.

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

better question... What were you doing that caused a dent big enough to use that dent puller???

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by Jango
          (13 posts)

20 years ago

The dent was there when I bought the horn. I would guess that somebody dropped it.

Reply To Post

5. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Not to worry - I'm of the generation that saw the first movie in the theaters when it first came out in the 1970's. I couldn't resist with the "Jango" name, though. Boba needed a good caning when he was a tike...

Reply To Post

6. by SelmerParisPassion
          (59 posts)

20 years ago

About removing dents... I've gotten an old silver plate sax that looks as though it's been dropped onto a gravel driveway or something. The bow is flattish and there are a couple of deeper dents with one really sharp one that looks like someone just poked their finger into the bottom of the horn. Could I get this fixed? By the depth of the dent, I'm surprised that it didn't tear the metal. Thanks, Christie J

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

7. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

you can get anything fixed... just depends on how much $$ you want to spend. Correct me if I'm wrong (repair guys) but arnt dents around the bottom of the horn hard to get out? (like the ones on that soldered on guard?) cause you would have to almost unsolder the whole thing, fix the dent, then put it all back together. or something like that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by Lefty
          (21 posts)

20 years ago

I agree 100% that anything can be fixed, but (paraphrasing you here) why spend $500.00 to make your instrument worth $300.00? And yes, bow dents are as hard to get out as any. The bow guard/bow cap reinforces the dent often, so that the bow and the cap/guard have to be repaired seperately. And access to the bow is limited unless the boe is removed from the body of the horn. Lefty

Reply To Post

9. by SelmerParisPassion
          (59 posts)

20 years ago

Well, the bow has only gone abit flat, the dents are around it. About how much would it costs, do you think? Thanks Christie J

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

10. by chuangtzu
          (1 post)

20 years ago

Christie, I charge thirty dollars an hour for dent removal. Dent removal not only requires cosmetic improvement, but also the "reabsorbtion" of the metal where it has stretched. Usually if a horn has suffered a drop onto the bow from even a few feet, chances are all of the bell key tone holes have been distorted. All of this and more must be considered, and I strongly suggest that you find a competant tech. -j-

Reply To Post