Saxophone Forum

by bandgeek
(11 posts)
20 years ago

New and Nervous

Hi everybody! I'm new to this discussion forum, and relatively new to the sax. I played piano for mmany years, and only started playing sax a few months ago. I practiced night and day until i made 2nd saxophones in band. Recently, I was asked to play in a local jazz band but I find sightreading (especially around people that are better than me) extremely nerveracking. Should I go for it? Help Please!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by wesmiller
    (55 posts)

20 years ago

Re: New and Nervous

Hello Nervous: Have a decaf and sit down :). Absolutely you should join the band. You stuck with the piano all those years. Right? You are practicing this new instrument with dedication and have already proven yourself by placing in your band program. Why worry? Now you have been ASKED to play in a jazz band. You will make mistakes as you go: so what. Join the rest of us. Thats how we all learn. Worst case scenario is there is a jerk in the section who gives you a hard time. Those are the fun ones! Take the "high road" ignore him, focus, practice and obliterate him with your improved playing skills: thats the worst case. My guess, however, is all will be fine. Just have fun. Wes

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
      (86 posts)

20 years ago

I agree. Practice sight-reading (oxymoron, right?) and it gets easier. When looking over a new piece of music, make sure to look at the key signature (as many of us have learned the hard way) and look for accidentals before begining the piece. If you continue to look at new pieces, not only will your musical variety widen, but you'll also get a lot better at sight-reading. And when you're a pro, make sure to show up the guy who made fun of you. *wink*

Reply To Post AIM

2. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

No, you shouldn't go for it. You said it yourself "Should I go for it? Help Please!!" Right there you're showing doubt in yourself, and abilties. You're asking a bunch of people on a website if you should or shouldn't do it... Why don't you ask your parents, friends, teachers? They would know more about it than we would. (although I would ask us here for help on sightreading, playing, other stuff) also... you said "but I find sightreading (especially around people that are better than me) extremely nerveracking" You WILL have to get over that sometime. No matter how hard you work there will alwase be someone better than you out there. 2nd sax? in what band? I mean don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you and all. But shit dude, belive in yourself, belive in what you can do, and... DON'T ASK PEOPLE ON A SITE LIKE THIS TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN AND CANT DO! we don't know anything about you, we don't know anything about that band, or how well you can play. now barring any of the asshole things i said before... why don't you go play in that band and learn from it? You really have nothing to lose here. If you don't do well just move on and learn from it. I doubt anyone will hold any mistakes agenst you. We all had to learn somewhere and you're getting a good chance here to learn from people. oh also, how old are you and again what band are you playing 2nd in and how many years of piano do you have? It really dosn't mean diddley squat to put those things out there and not give any background. for example, you could be 2nd in a pre-school band at your local daycare center, and have a plastic toy sax for all we know...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mazedull
      (6 posts)

20 years ago

chiamac, c'mon brother, first you give pathetic advice ("no you shouldnt go for it" & "Dont ask people on a site like this to tell you what you can and cannot do," etc. Then you admit to it ("now barring any of the asshole things i said before"), before proceeding to give sound advice (" why dont you go play in that band and learn from it...") and totally contradicting yourself more than once. "no you shouldnt then yes you should" & dont ask us on this site then "we all had to learn somewhere and your're getting a good chance HERE (emphasis mine) to learn from people." Exactly...isnt that what this site is for? "SAXQUEST.com" a forum for novice and experienced alike to seek insight from others? People who know what they are talking about! It seems by your nonsensical verbose remarks you're a bit too assertive which does not bode well. Be a positive resource. We're all in this together. Take care

Reply To Post

1. by bandgeek
        (11 posts)

20 years ago

Hey! Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate the realism of your statements as well, Chiamac. Just FYI I've played piano for 10 years, and play 2nd sax in school band. I'm 15 years old. Anyways, I went to try the band and you were right! It really wasn't that bad! I truly had my doubts, but when I got into the middle of things it all turned out ok. Everyone was really supportive, too, and forgave my mistakes. Thanks for the advice! I'll prob. be needing alot of it! -Annie

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

I don't belive a web site should sway any personal decisions someone should make. Yes, a person can come to a site and get information, but I belive it's up to the person and his or her family/friends to make the desicion. my first post was trying to "shock and awe" you. I wanted to come off as the biggest asshole I could, then bring it back with some advice. I'm glad that things went well for you. Sorry that I was such a asshole before, but I kinda wanted to do that. This site is a great resource, and there are a lot of people on here who know a hell of a lot about playing the sax. good luck! =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM