Saxophone Forum

by SeanK
(4 posts)
20 years ago

Help finding a tenor mouthpiece!

I am in the market for a new tenor sax mouthpiece and have a tone in mind. If any of you are familiar with Leroi Moore of the Dave Matthews Band, maybe you can help me out. I know he plays on a lot of vintage Berg's and Meyer's. My question, however, is what type of facing do you suppose he uses? I really want to achieve his type of tenor sax sound, but I have no idea what mouthpiece facing he uses. If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spike
    (248 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Help finding a tenor mouthpiece!

i'm listening to #34 and that sounds like an open meyer. get the 6, it works real well for a lot of people

Reply To Post

1. by SeanK
      (4 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for replying Spike. Now, I know the Meyer's come in like 6M, 6L, etc. What do you suggest? What is the difference? I am currently playing on a Selmer C* with a Mark VI tenor sax, and quite frankly, I'm bored out of my mind with the C*. This is the reason for the change I'm seeking. Will I notice a huge difference with a Meyer 6? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

20 years ago

well i use a 6M on my alto, and like it quite a bit. to be honest, i use a berg 90/1M on my tenor, but i wouldn't recoment it to most people. As for the C*, anything would be an upgrade; i think you'll like either the meyer or a berg way better. on the 6 you might want a link though, so i'd say you should try some out if possible.

Reply To Post

1. by SeanK
          (4 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah I was looking into Links, but I heard that they are hard to control compared to a Meyer or Berg. I play a Berg 90/2M on my alto and i like it, but I wanted to try out a hard rubber Meyer instead of going with another Berg. So a Meyer 6M should be good? Any reed recommendations? I like VanDoren Javas, but what strength should I use with a 6M?

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

you should find the link way easier to controll than a berg, but the meyer is easy too. i actually play a 90/1m berg for tenor, and that's pretty hadr to control. But with a 90/2M alto, you might try something more tight like a 5M. I like using my oleg(it's the same size for alto meyer and tenor berg) and LaVoz MH reeds myself

Reply To Post

3. by SeanK
          (4 posts)

20 years ago

Hey Spike, thanks for all your help. I've decided to go with a vintage Meyer 5M. I found it on eBay and it's in really good condition. Got it for a good price too. But, I'm also going to be in the market for a new alto and soprano HR piece. Same as my tenor, something close to what Leroi Moore plays. Any suggestions? I'm sick of my metal Berg that I play for alto now. I want to stay with HR. I know Meyers are known for their good alto pieces. Right?

Reply To Post

4. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

That sounds sweet, man. Yeah, i love meyers for alto, but don't mind HR bergs on alto either. As for soprano, just stick with the s80. You'll have a hell of a time finding anything to work better

Reply To Post