Saxophone Forum

by Saxoplayer
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Mpc-lig combo for broad dark sound

I have been playing the alto for 2 years and recently purchased a Yamaha tenor 62 series III. I am a soloist and prefer a broad dark sound and am thinking of getting the metal Otto Link NY mpc and a Vandoren Optimum lig. I understand one of the 3 slides provided by Van gives a real dark sound. Would this be a good combo to get a real dark sound ? Should I get the V5 or V16 lig for the Otto NY ? I am open to other combo suggestions as well. Thanks a lot !

[Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bibimbop
    (53 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Mpc-lig combo for broad dark sound

If you're going for a dark sound for legit work I'd say stay away from metal. For tenor I've had good luck with Selmer S90s and Vandoren T20s. I also know some poeple that have good sounds with a Rousseau 4 (The old model, I can remember what it's called). The Ligs I've had good experience with are Vandoren Optimums, BG gold plated traditional, Bonades, and Winslows (if you can get ahold of one). Many people disagree on this, but I really don't like fabric ligatures like Rovner and the BG "revelutions". I think they dampen the sound and they don't allow the reed to vibrate as much as metal ligs. Plus, fabric ligs don't keep the reed in place like metal ligs.

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

The darkest sound I've ever attained on my tenor is with a vintage Woodwind Company B5. There is absolutely no baffle at the tip, and it opens up rapidly. It's a very smooth sounding piece - to great effect if that's what you're looking for. Altissimo is about impossible, but that's the trade-off when you're looking to the dark side.

1. by Saxoplayer
      (2 posts)

20 years ago

Appreciate your feedback. Will explore the T20s and move away from metal for legit.... Thanks !