Saxophone Forum

by Drvlsco
(6 posts)
20 years ago

ottolink tenor mouthpiece

Hello, I was just wondering what u guys think of the tenor ottolink New York metal mouth piece? any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sjlmassey
    (3 posts)

20 years ago

Re: ottolink tenor mouthpiece

I played metal links 6* 9* and 8* for about fifteen years and while they have pretty reliable intonation, the finishing is often very sloppy (rails unbalanced and soforth). I get a bit of a bright sound on them even though I have a late 50's mark vi. I have switched to a hard rubber 9 link and it is awesome. No loss of projection, just a darker sound. Think about what kinds of music you want to play. BTW the NY links don't stand up next to the Floridas. They are all different even with the same supposed specs. Try 6 or 7 of the sam piece side by side.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

I really like to play the older metal links on tenor, I have a vintage NY that I use. I don't really like the new ones much though. Whatt kind of hard rubber one did you get? Tone Edge? Those are pretty decent. I actually prefer the NY links over the floriday links, but it all depends on the player.

Reply To Post

1. by sjlmassey
        (3 posts)

20 years ago

Yep tone edge. I agree. The older NY Links are nice but the new metal Links seem very carelessly finished with little consistency.

Reply To Post

1. by tembysaxguy
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Tone Edge are very good- I got one with my new sax and am very happy with it- I have a hard rubber one and I like the control it gives youover the sax- especially your tone you can really work with them.

Reply To Post

2. by EdTheGreat
        (11 posts)

19 years ago

I bought a Ottolink New York last week its extremely awesome, and it gives you a really dark sound. Mine is a 9, everyone said it be hard to play on but its easy for me. I would suggest you get it. It won't let you down

Reply To Post