Saxophone Forum

by Sloaf
(3 posts)
20 years ago

1944 CG Conn Naked Lady tenor sax low pitch

Hello, can you help me determine the value of my sax? It is a C.G. Conn Naked Lady, tenor sax, low pitch. Condition is excellent -- no dents and one tiny scratch. All original parts, including original case (condition not so good) and a floor stand. It would need new pads, and is tarnished black. Serial number is as follows: 10 M T 309538 L I am trying to decide whether to keep it for its sentimental value or not. Who knows this sax?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: 1944 CG Conn Naked Lady tenor sax low pitch

I have one, but a few years older. It's been relaquered (sp) but looks good and plays well. One of the best tenors ever made (the 10M of that vintage) I would hold on to it. You're not going to get A LOT of money, and (if it plays well) it's going to be hard to replace. Even if you don't play it a lot it would be a nice horn to keep around.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Sloaf
      (3 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks, chiamac. My dilemma is that I am not a player -- I would only keep it out of a combination of sentimental value (as I said) plus the bet that it would appreciate in value over time. The Sax Gourmet website values the series at $3400....don't know your idea of "a lot" of money, but this sounds like an investment to me? I know I would have to deduct value for new pads and cleaning the tarnish, etc.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

really? I have only seen them go up to $1500-2000... but then I could be wrong. I'm not sure if it's worth $3400, I would ask around and get a few more quotes. That seems really really high for a 10M, even in good condition. Mine is only worth $1200 (or around there) and no that's not a lot of money for a sax to me. I wouldn't sell it for rent, or for spending money or stuff... but shit, why don't you sell it and invest your money in something else that's a sure bet to gain in value? Stocks, gold, stones, a bank account... no sense in keeping a horn when you won't use it. And I doubt it would gain enough to make it a investment, it will hold it's value but I wouldn't expect a lot more.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

As I said in ym email - 3400 is a little steep - even a virtuoso deluxe model would hardly fetch that. If you don't know the virtuos deluxe started out a regular sax, one of the best that were made at the time (no 2 saxes are exactly alike.) then the heavily gold plated it, pearl is added to every point your fingers touch, and where it isn't added, sterling silver is, the finish is highly burnished to an extremely high lustre, then the sax was engraved to the buyers specifications. (thru a picture or description then a motif is setup around the main idea.)

Reply To Post

2. by Sloaf
          (3 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks. It is true that the Sax Gourmet puts that value on it assuming absolutely pristine condition of both the horn and case.......I just wanted to see if that was a reasonable starting point to work backward from.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

I am not sure what he does, but advise to the wiser - unless you really know your stuff, I would stay away from steve's advise - most of it is crap - similair to the rest of his services. He doe sahve some good stuff, but not all of it is. You know, he once took in a customers horn, did about 800 bucks of damage to it, then wouldn't give it back until the police got involved - several months later. Another time, a customer sent in a soprano for work - with the mouthpiece in the case, and he sends back the same case, but with a different sax and different mouthpiece.

Reply To Post

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

actually, ebay would be a good resource to use. It lets you know what people are willing to pay for something. Not that I would buy a horn on there...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM