Saxophone Forum

by cornodibassetto8
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Straight and Curved Sopranos

Hi! I'm sure many have presented this question, but I couldn't find any posts in the archives. So...what's the difference between a curved and straight soprano? I think the curved look cooler, but there's got to be more to it than that. So, who can help me??? Thanks! Sean

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Straight and Curved Sopranos

In my own experience, I've noticed the curved soprano to be a shade darker than the straight. Other than that, the obvious design difference is the only one. I like the darker tone, but I actually prefer the straight soprano. I feel bunched up just when I play the alto, so the curved soprano is a bit much.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

I can't speak from experience, but the curved soprano just looks like an ergonomic nightmare. There's an LA Sax curved in a local shop I should try out for kicks.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

Please do _maniac. I'd like to hear your impressions of that brand. I hear conflicting things about LA sax.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

20 years ago

Hey johnsonfromwisconsin! I own a LA SAX, maybe I can help you.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I'll give the LA sop a shot. I can try to do a side-by-side with my Yani straight. Don't know how soon I can get around to doing this, though. We'll see...

Reply To Post

3. by jazzsaxman
          (28 posts)

20 years ago

curved sopranos have alot of intonation problems-alot more then the straight horns

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

20 years ago

curved are outta tune...G will be in tune, then move to like, an A and its like 100000000000 cents sharp or flat..its crazy...and LA saxes absolutely suck, sayn u play an LA is like sayn u enjoy fondleing your sax and puttin it places that it shouldnt go

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

curved sopranos are for losers (please don't hurt me^_^)

Reply To Post

1. by Redsax
            (27 posts)

20 years ago

Curved ones look like they should have bubble blowing out of them....lol!!!!!!!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Hexaclon
              (90 posts)

20 years ago

Hey YanagisawA-901!! As you may or may not know I own a LA Sax, now tell me... since you know so mutch about LA Sax. What are the technical problems of a LA Sax that make it so crappy?!? Thanks Hexaclon

Reply To Post AIM

2. by chiamac
              (586 posts)

20 years ago

"What are the technical problems of a LA Sax that make it so crappy?!? " 1) that stupid name 2) they are made in tiwan 3) they use colors as selling tacticts 4) they are really cheap 5) the "la sax" logo looks like it's a metal band from the 80's I don't know enough about technical problems... but I'm sure that there are some good horns out there along with a lot of crappy ones. But hey, the black lacquer (sp?) makes it look so cool that people put up with a sub standard horn, and sound. =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Hexaclon
              (90 posts)

20 years ago

Well I think their not so bad. Really! I really bought mine because it was the only thing I could. (used for 300.00) and I have to say....It's not so bad, well at least it gives me what i need for now. The action is nice and it is cunfy, it seems wright all though the sound doesn't compare to my "Untunable" Buescher.

Reply To Post AIM