Saxophone Forum

by mikjo
(3 posts)
20 years ago

Silver alto 1926 CONN elkhart in. any ideas on repairing finish?

i bought this sax used at a local music store and i am planning to learn to play on it the store owner had it completely gone over and re-padded but there are places where the silver plating is just gone it has no dents or dings and i don't know if a repait to the finish would impact the sound .... anybody?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Silver alto 1926 CONN elkhart in. any ideas on repairing finish?

How big are the areas where the silver plating is gone? Just leave it be. It's character - and probably a sign that it's been played a lot meaning it's probably a great playing horn. If it sounds good, forget the plating issue. The answer to your question is that repairing the finish would probably not affect the sound - only your pocketbook.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

you could probably get a spot plating system from caswell (If you could find one on that sorry excuse for a website - its soooo poorly organized.) for a hundred bucks - I think you would probably have some silver nitrate elft over out fo a 4oz bottle as long as the spots arent too big.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjazza22
        (13 posts)

20 years ago

hey saxman, any ideas on repairing the finish on a 1970s conn director? The finish on mine is really beat up. Any ideas? Thanks

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

you can buy some lacquer in a can from ferees tools. (I am assuming your sax is lacquered.) they offer both gold lacquer and clear coat - the lacquer on your sax would probably be closer to clear coat than gold. I would be extremely surprised if it was a perfect match. anything else would out weigh the value of the sax that I know of, a relac job would probably cost twice as much as the horn is worth, not to mention te overhaul necessary after everything has been stripped.

Reply To Post

2. by saxjazza22
          (13 posts)

20 years ago

Hey saxman, could i put on the lacquermyself or would I have to have it done by a pro, because when I talked to a guy at my local music store, he said it would cost aat least $300 to $400.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

definately we do lacquer as a free service on certain repairs. To entirely relacquer it it would be expensive, but if it is only spots, you could do it yourself with the spray stuff. if you would have toe relac the entire sax, it wouldnt be worth it.

Reply To Post