Saxophone Forum

by Rben20
(35 posts)
20 years ago

Making reeds better

Hey I was wondering if you guys do any tricks with your reeds to make them vibrate and play better. I currently use David Sanborn's bell jar idea which in my opinion is great! (if you dont know you can find a clip of how he does the process on the official website) Here are some other things ive learned. What I do with reeds that are still green and have some moisture in them from the box I strap them against a shoe box with some rubber bands and put them up on the roof to heat up and dry. (down here we reach 106) I also find rubbing your thumb against the vamp of the reed gets your reed full of oils from you which in turn make the reed last longer by blocking off most moiture. Plus it keeps the reed smooth and not ruff which could hurt your lip! Well hope you guys can share some ideas. Thanks for y'alls time. Peace

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Rben20
    (35 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Making reeds better

AHh come on anybody willing to share? Help a brother out.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

Well, I keep a flexible synthetic manicurists file to work the reeds if they don't play how I want them to. Larry Teal's "Art of Playing Saxophone" has a section on reed care that directs you where to work a reed if it isn't responding the way you need it to. Basically, you take away cane towards the vamp if you need help with the low end and towards the tip if you need help at the high end. My other recommendation is to keep reeds in a reed saver that clamps down as opposed to the plastic holders that they come in. This will help manage warping to some extent. If you're feeling really adventurous, check this out. www.bootmanmusic.com I've been experimenting with a variation on Bootman's idea that I've shared with him. If I ever get it to work, I'll mention it.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

I've got a few neat gadgets I like to use on reeds when I have some spare time. I have this cast iron reed blade that shaves it really fine to get it where you want it, and Vandoren has a new thing out like that for about 30 dollars that is wonderful. Also, I have a clipper, so if I get a chip, just take off a millimeter of two, and it's back to new. As far as storing reeds, I have the box where there is a panel of glass that press down on the reed, it never comes out wavy. Also, watch the humidity levels at which you store them.

Reply To Post

1. by Rben20
          (35 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks a lot helps a great deal! Im surprised the reed clipper saves you lots of money! Thanks again to you both : )

Reply To Post