Saxophone Forum

by azurealto
(79 posts)
16 years ago

cork grease

how often do you apply cork grease to your saxophone(s)?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

16 years ago

Re: cork grease

whenever the cork is too dry for the mouthpiece to go on easily.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
      (279 posts)

16 years ago

that's every dang time for me.

Reply To Post

1. by JBTSAX
        (364 posts)

16 years ago

Clean the cork with some mild dish soap and a cloth and then rinse and dry. Then heat some paraffin wax over a flame and coat the cork with a light layer of the melted wax. Then heat a butter knife and "iron" the wax into the pores of the cork. When that is done apply just a tiny bit of cork grease to the cork and put the mouthpiece on. The first couple of times the extra wax will rub off. Just wipe it off when it does. I have not had to use cork grease for over 20 years on my alto with this treatment, and it is the same cork! John

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

. . . i just grease it until it won't absorb any more cork grease, but okay. i grease mine when it starts looking dry, which isn't too often. BTW, vaseline works just as well as any other name brand cork grease for half the price.

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
          (602 posts)

16 years ago

Never used any on my Reference alto, cork is pretty thin but it is tight to put my Meyer on it. Though on my Yamaha I had to put some on at first because the cork was quite thick but after it compressed a bit I quit using it.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

16 years ago

I generally don't use cork grease unless it's absolutely necessary. Our lead alto in high school uses it every time she puts her sax together.

Reply To Post

4. by azurealto
          (79 posts)

16 years ago

i usually end up doing it every 3 times, or whenever it looks dry. It doesn't really NEED it very much, but i still put it on every couple times.

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

jbt I'm into long-term solutions but my cork is already compressed flat. do you need to apply the wax to fresh cork or would I be wasting my time at this late stage. in the mean time sax104's vaso is doing the trick.

Reply To Post

3. by JBTSAX
        (364 posts)

16 years ago

You can apply the paraffin wax at any time. I would clean the cork first rubbing gently with a cloth with warm water and dish soap. Vaseline is never advisable to use on corks. It is too thin and runny especially when warm, and can soak through the cork and dissolve the glue holding it in place. When real cork grease (or paraffin wax) is so inexpensive it is foolish not to use the appropriate product IMO. John

Reply To Post