Saxophone Forum

by Jared31
(8 posts)
16 years ago

Smooth Jazz

What does everybody think about Smooth Jazz? I have been listening to it for years and I love it but I want some other people's opinions.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by azurealto
    (79 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Smooth Jazz

it's good. I like it.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
      (279 posts)

16 years ago

Grover Washington left a fine legacy. is that smooth jazz?

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

16 years ago

no matter what you do, or what you like, somebody else is going to dig it, and somebody else is going to think it's a drag.

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

Grover IMO created the genre of smooth jazz. His music was so much more than today's smooth jazz. You can listen to anything he has recorded in his career and it would not sound dated.

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I gree with that. good music never loses its appeal. I've listened to Winelight a hundred times and I still enjoy it. I like that tenor solo on track 4. the alto solo on the title track is pretty nice too. talking about antique music, I've recently started listening to a Chu Berry CD I got years ago. man that guy could play.

Reply To Post

3. by saxocopter
          (4 posts)

16 years ago

As Duke Ellington once said, "There's only two types of music...good, and bad." Although I'm a straight-ahead jazz player, I have taken the time to listen and appreciate smooth jazz. One of the biggest mistakes players make is they listen only to the styles that they play and ignore the rest, but you can learn a lot by listening to other genres. Tranesyadaddy has got the right idea by listening to Chu Berry.

Reply To Post