Saxophone Forum

by Jared31
(8 posts)
16 years ago

Cannonball saxophone choices

Does anyone know how new the cannonball sceptyr model is? Also, I have been playing saxophone for 2 years now and I am wondering if I should get an intermediate sax and eventually switch to a professional or just get a professional and have it for the rest of my sax playing life?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by RyanCannonball
    (45 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Cannonball saxophone choices

Hello Jared, I'm Ryan Lillywhite, an employee of Cannonball Music. The Sceptyr model is new this year; we introduced it at the NAMM show this January (2008), and some dealers are still just receiving their first shipment of Sceptyrs. Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions for us. -Ryan

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

16 years ago

Hi, Jared..I bought a Yamaha YTS61 brand new in '74. I still play this horn on a very nearly daily basis. This horn was considered as entry level pro when I bought it...ya get what ya pay for, and you can't beat quality. Hope this helps.

Reply To Post

2. by JBTSAX
      (364 posts)

16 years ago

That is a good question Jared. A lot depends upon what you plan to do with music in the future. Will you go on and play in college? Do you plan to major in music? Are you going to teach or play professionally or just play for fun? The other part is what you are able to spend on an instrument right now. A top quality "pro" sax will usually cost more than an intermediate model, but there is a wide range of prices among the brands. Personally I feel it is important to buy from a local music store where you can try several different saxes before you buy, where they back up the instrument with a repair service and warranty, and where you can get a trade in if you move up to a better sax in the future. Most stores also support the music programs in your local area something the internet dealers don't do. The best advice I can give is to talk with your parents, music teacher, and private teacher if you have one and follow their advice about which level of sax to buy. Then try as many brands as possible and pick the one you like the best that fits your budget. John John

Reply To Post

1. by Jared31
        (8 posts)

16 years ago

I do plan to play for the rest of my life and professionally. I want to buy a cannonball saxophone and I play a lot and write my own music but I don't know if I should get a professional sax or an intermediate. Out of that information, what do you think?

Reply To Post

1. by RyanCannonball
          (45 posts)

16 years ago

Jared- I just posted a reply to your question in the other thread (the "Hi from Ryan at Cannonball" one). I don't want to double-post, so I'll just refer you to it here. Thanks, Ryan

Reply To Post

2. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

From your description of your goals, I would definitely say get the pro horn if you can afford it. There is nothing I can add to Ryan's excellent response in the other thread except to say that I agree with everything he said and that as a professional repairman who works on Cannonballs all the time, they are exceptionally well made and dependable instruments. John

Reply To Post