Saxophone Forum

by RCD709
(2 posts)
20 years ago

seeking information on two old sax

Hi, I have 2 York Saxes I would like to know what they are worth. I am strongly considering parting with them. The first one is a tenor York; I was told it is a 1909, although I cannot be absolutely sure because I don't know how to look it up yet. I bought it about 22 - 24 years ago in a little antique store in Wisconsin. . They had had it for many years they said. I picked it up and played a scale and it sounded wonderful. The pads were old, but other than that the horn was in great condition. It has a brushed silver finish with what appears to be the original case. I hired a horn collector/repair woman to repad it. The horn has what appears to be pearl inlay looking keys. It has the number 101817 stamped into the front bottom of the bell followed by the words "parent applied for" This horn is really in good shape. I can only find one very small ding in it anywhere. It is in the front of the bell somewhat hidden in the scrollwork. It is small and round, I was never aware of it until I was looking at it hunting for the numbers for this message. The scrollwork is beautiful with leaves and what seem to be two small yin - yang symbols one above the other, also something I did not know until now. They are subtle. The ding is in one for those symbols about the size of a BB. I played it pretty regularly 15 – 30 min a day, two to four days a week for about 5 years, and since then maybe 3 – 5 times a year. The rest of the time I’ve keep it clean. I don’t know anything about the horn before the antique store, but from what the people there told me they got it in the late 40s. Who ever had it before that took good care of it. The alto is also that satin brushed silver, or maybe there satin stainless, I forget what they told me now. I bought it about two years after I got the tenor from a sax player. He was the original owner. This horn is clean. All over. Same pearl keys, I say pearl I don’t really know what the material is that the used back then, they look pearlihs. The seller told me he bought it new in 1919. These horns belong together. I will let them go separately I guess, but they sure look good together. Truth, I never thought I’d part with these instruments, but I think it’s time. I want to learn what they are worth as soon as I can. If you are interested , or can head me into the direction let me know and thanks in advance. I will be putting them up (pictures) on my web site in the next few days also, flamework.com so you can see them. RCD

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: seeking information on two old sax

let us know when the pictures are up. It's great when someone has the history on the horn. It usually means it was well cared for as the owner passes the story along with the horn.

Reply To Post

1. by RCD709
      (2 posts)

20 years ago

Re: seeking information on two old sax

my saxes are now on my website at www.flamework.com

Reply To Post