Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

{[] Young but experienced player in need of help []}

hey guys, i just signed up for this and kinda tryna get my name out here so ppl will wanna help me out when i need it... 1st ill let u kno, im a junior in highschool, 2nd alto in jazz and 1st alto in concert band in my highschool. ive been playing for 6 years and consider myself a good player. my setup is a yanagisawa A-901, a selmer S-80 C*, a vandoren java 3 1/2, and a Rovner dark lig. im just lookin for some general help guys, maybe study techniques? scale excersizes? things that will help me prolong the life of my sax? im looking for a new case so maybe a protec?? or what do u guys think? improv practice tips? tone? and im really trying to learn how to growl.. just anyone wanting to share any ideas on how to excell, or just how u guys practice, MiKe

[Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

20 years ago

Re: {[] Young but experienced player in need of help []}

Hi Yani, What kind of horn do you have? Cause if you have the Yani A-901, it's really goes for 1650 on wwbw. You should check that out. Because for 3500$ you could get a hiscox, a barone top quality mouthpiece, an optimum, alexanders, anything you want + the sax. you should look into it. www.wwbw.com PS. wwbw matches any price, do a search for the item you want on www.froogle.com, and even if it's some internet store, or something, wwbw will match it. When I looked at these 20 mouthpieces I was looking in to, I saved an average of 6.50 on them, and 25$ on the Larry Teal.. Glad to help you out!

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

yea dude, i got hte 901, its retailed at 3600, but i got it from chuck levins washington music, and they were having a sale at 1600 and i did a trade in for 400 so i got a hella good deal

2. by saxgrobie
    (86 posts)

20 years ago

Wow, Mike, we're pretty much in the same boat. I'm a sophmore and I'm pretty experienced, I just want to get better. You mentioned scale exercises: The way we do them at my school is to play a different scale each week, going around the circle of fourths (and don't forget the arpegios!) then move to minor scales. Apegios are what have really helped me to improve because a lot of times in jazz, what looks like a lot of random notes, is often an arpegio from a certain scale. I don't think I'm really qualified to help any more than that! Kelsey

3. by semperfi1130
    (1 post)

20 years ago

Hey man what up!!! First off I am a senior in high school and have been playing sax for like 6 years. I play tenor and alto but my favorite is the tenor. I play in both jazz and concert band (both 1st chair). Here is my set up: Selmer Paris 1967 Mark VI, Selmer C*, Vandoren Optimum Ligature, Meyer mouthpiece (for jazz) and I use Vandoren 3 for concert and Vandoren ZZ 3's for jazz. I had a Yanigisawa but didnt care for it but i guess you have to make dues with what you can. I would suggest getting a Yamaha alto, if not then its cool. Just switch to a Vandoren Optimum ligature it makes such a different in your tone and easy playability. Youll notice it right away. I definetly suggest a PRO-TEC case they are really good. As for improv....thats really a skill, so I suggest becoming very very fimiliar with your blues scales. Practice them like a religion man...seriously. And as for the growling. You literally GROWL into the sax it also helps when you have a nice ligature and all that good stuff, but if Charlie Parker can record a CD on plastic sax then you can growl on a reg sax. LOL : ) Ok well I practice for like an hour and a half a day doing scales, arpeggios, octaves and bunch of long tones. Learn all your scales and go over em. As for jazz, I highly recommend the HAL-LEONARD JAZZ PLAY ALONG. It gives you a main melody then lets you improve with a whole band behind you. It rocks. Ok hope i have helped. If you need anymore help, just let me know. Musically Yours, Dan R. Tactay

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

oh this will be fun... [I had a Yanigisawa but didnt care for it but i guess you have to make dues with what you can] way to diss his horn Dan.=) [I would suggest getting a Yamaha alto, if not then its cool.] way to do it again! the rest is good sound advice... but you could knock off the "selmer is best" attidude, this guy needs help not someone to tell him that his horn is something you would pass over.

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

Contoured ProTec cases are awesome for the price. Walt Johnson cases are more military grade but cost a lot more and have little storage room. Hal Leonard jazz play along books are great. I've got I think 13 now. Also, for legit, get the Rubank blue books - Intermediate, Advanced I & II, and the Selected Studies for Saxophone book. Try to keep both your legit and jazz chops up to date. If you go pro, you should really focus on one or the other as a primary, but keeping up with one will help you with the other. To get a better feel for music theory, I recommend studying piano and learning chord structure. And finally, with the right mouthpiece, I'm convinced that just about any horn that is set up well (clean action, no pad leaks, proper pad heights) can play well. A cheap junker horn may require more routine maintenance, but the $3000+ horns need regular attention as well - maybe just not as often. Most importantly, explore all kinds of music and don;t get too hung up on any one musician. Find and develop your own voice. Good Luck!

2. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

hey its me again, thanks for the posts kelsey, i sometimes prefer to learn from someone the same age as me over an experienced player, ill do what u sed.. to dan, thanks for the info, all the seniors at my school could give a shit about me so i like the fact that i have some tips from a senior whos been through it all, haha and as for the sax deal, i just got my yani so im not gettin rid of it too soon..i tryed out a yamaha yas 62 i believe, a kielwerth ex 90 and sx 90 both in black nickel, and i tried out my yanagisawa..for some reason i liked it better, the tone was really centered and focused, the yamaha seemd to have a thin tone and the kielwerths had good tone they were just super hard to play cuz of the larger bow, haha i have bad support, im workin on that haha chia, i dont have anything for u, but thanks for the post, and maniac, thanks, ur really teh only one that touched on a case, cuz i really wanna protect my sax cuz it was a shitload of money, im talking like 3,000 some bux, and i already have it insured but i want a better case. as for the books, i already use the rubank method books, i blew up the begginner last year and im about 1/2 was through the intermediate now, i use them with my teacher every tuesday, btw his name is al maniscalco, hes a beast, check his site out www.almaniscalco.com any more ideas are great, i can take all the help i can get, im workin on getting my school louis armstrong jazz award for my senior year, haha so help me out guys, thanks MIKE

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

A good case that fits the 901 is the Selmer Vanguard issue case. About what chamiac said; the new yamahas(custom series) are a versatile horn, and good for your situation, then again so it the 901. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the reason you're second in jazz band is your tone, because an S-80 C* is a terrible mouthpiece for jazz. It's difficult to growl on(like you mentioned), and it makes it hard to use any expression. Also, the Rovner ligs, are bad for jazz, they deaden your sound. Try to get a different set up for concert band and jazz band. Good luck on the Armstron award, I got that in highschool too.

2. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

as for awards... don't worry about getting it or not getting it, once you get to college (at least for me, with non music) people could care less after a while about what you did, they only care about what you're doing now. so pratice hard and keep working, all that WILL pay off after a while. (on another note also read the book 'how to win friends and influence people' which will help with your people skills A LOT) i need to get the rubank books again, I lost them years back when I was in high school. they are really good and keep at them. Also play scales, and try to at least get the arpeggios (spelling)down for each scale. they will help you a lot in concert and jazz... remeber everything is in patterns, once you learn your scales you learned most of the patterns you will see on sheet music. I was never a big fan play along books... For me at least I would need a loud good sterio (if you need speakers look at M-Audio studiophile monitors, they are really good and not as expensive as bigger home speakers) Well a good stereo for play alongs, and also a mic so you can loop your sax though some headphones that also play the playalong stuff. I agree that any sax can sound good with the right mpc. Well any good sax will sound good... and yes you have a good sax. if seniors are giving you crap give them back the finger... well, don't be mean back, but you don't have to be nice either. I would just ignore them and do your own thing. As long as we are talking about high school... here is how you get girls (or meet anyone) say hi to them, and make some small talk for a few min, then get there name. then whever you see them again say hi (their name) do that and you WILL make new friends, meet girls, and literally make people like you... i forgot about smiling a lot. that is half the battle of anything, start learning now how to talk to people and meet new people, that is the key to getting places. hmmm as from learning from someone your age... i don't know if that's a good idea. it could be good in person, but there are some people on here that really know their stuff, so it would be a good idea to at least consider things they put forward. (not trying to be a parent, but i learned the hard way it's a good idea to keep a open mind and options open... you're more flexable that way and can change and adapt to situations faster) oh yeah, I'm not a big fan about black saxes... they look too cool, like the person isn't good enough and needs a really cool looking sax to show off, or they are good enough but want to brag themselves up even more... but then i want a green patina sax, anyone have a bare brass sax they would let me mess around with? ok, I'm sounding like a parent giving a "talk" here so I'll put a stop to all this... maybe i should start a weekly soap box thread or something. Anyway it's time to get a beer and go to bed.=) (-Edited for readability by Saxquest administration on 8/29/2004 4:59:10 PM)

3. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

20 years ago

thanks again for the posts, especially that last one, i forget ur name but u had a lot of good stuff to tell me, and to golfer, the reason im a 2nd in jazz is mainly because im inexperienced and am basically, not good enough to be lead, there only 2 altos in our jazz band so theres not much room for error, my tone does need a hell of a lot of work because i just got my new yani and the tone is bright as shit, and thats a good thing for lead but definately not as a 2nd, i need to blend with the lead and accompany him well, any ideas of a better setup i can use other than my s-80 c* and a rovner dark?? im totally clueless as to mouthpieces, the stock mouthpiece that comes with the A 901 i heard is kinda like a meyer, and ive been hearing a lot of hype about the vandoren optimum lig, any feedbak fellahs??

1. by barimachine
        (323 posts)

20 years ago

well im atleast the same age im a junior in high school ive been playing sax for 11 years now and i find that alot of etudes are good scales and all long tones and tune should always be worked warming up and down wiht that in all 12 keys on weekends i run 1-3 etude books ful for warmup and warmdown then when im warmed up i put on band in a box or jamey abersold (the good stuff) and do a blues in all twelve keys then rhythm changes then i work on anyother songs and i work on rhythm work with a bona book then i just learn new heads and then play more and more licks and listen to myself then check the intonation on it if its off i spend a few hours in the snake pit...*just kidding* and then i just play and play it with different articulation and at speeds over different changes up and down and then work them with other licks then warmdown as for cases try bereley cases there awesome

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

[on weekends i run 1-3 etude books ful for warmup and warmdown then when im warmed up i put on band in a box or jamey abersold (the good stuff) and do a blues in all twelve keys then rhythm changes then i work on anyother songs and i work on rhythm work with a bona book then i just learn new heads and then play more and more licks and listen to myself then check the intonation on it if its off i spend a few hours in the snake pit...*just kidding* and then i just play and play it with different articulation and at speeds over different changes up and down and then work them with other licks then warmdown] this is the differnce between being good, and that damn good... in high school I was good, but I didn't want to step it up a level and be that darn good. not that music isnt a big part of my life, but I found other things i would rather spend A lOT of time on, I use music to wind down and to take a break. But shoot, that's all someone really needs to do to be really good. Just devote a lot of time and effort (some money) at playing and unless they are stupid they will be good... (-Edited for readability by Saxquest administration on 8/29/2004 5:02:09 PM)

1. by saxgrobie
            (86 posts)

20 years ago

"kelsey, i sometimes prefer to learn from someone the same age as me over an experienced player, ill do what u sed.." Aww, I feel special! But seriously, listen to them, because I don't practice as much as barimachine over there! Around 45-60 minutes a night is plenty for me, haha, unless I got a cool new song or something. I guess if I really want to improve, I should be practicing more, but whatever, I'm working on it. LOL I know how you feel though. Last year I wasn't taking a band class, just marching band, and I felt so clueless as to what to play or what to do outside of marching. I really benefit from a class, where we are given stuff that pushes our limits and exposes us to new type of music (often against our own will). That's how I grow mostly. I'm not so good that I don't need a little guidance. Kelsey

2. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

20 years ago

As far as what chiamiac said about jazz etudes...get the Dan Higgins Jazz Etude book. It's hard to interpret the rythms, but it's do wonder for your sight reading and feel for the beat. Since you're trying to darken the tone, I would recommend the Otto Link Tone Edge, it's under 100 bucks, and is plenty jazzy and edgy, and good and dark. For the chamber size, try a 6*, since you're coming from a C*. And just use the crumby stock lig with it, it gives it that nasty jazz sound.

3. by YanagisawA-901
            (312 posts)

20 years ago

sounds good..ill try it out, my moms gettn upset at me for wantin a new mouthpiece cuz she just payed half of my 3500 yanagisawa and she dont think i need a new mouthpiece, haha but she dont understand the complexities of a sax.. ill buy it and not tell her, she wont know the difference (-Edited for readability by Saxquest administration on 8/29/2004 5:00:54 PM)

4. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

20 years ago

i hear that if i had all the money insted of asking for loans from my parents i would spend all my money in this haha but i because i practice alot doesn't make me that good i just wanted to get there and im still not even a star pupil by far I've just had to work to do all this because i must be the most musically retarded person ever i didn't have dexterity good tone and rhythm was COMPLETLY lost on me. try taking a class of ear training and rhythms o man weird stuff goes on there... but just work however hard you want and i have a request mr. yani please stop putting those stlye symbols on your threads haha there just distracting

5. by YanagisawA-901
            (312 posts)

20 years ago

haha thats the point dude, so ppl go inside my thread, but ill try to stop, i dont like havin enemies, and u seem cool, haha but dont expect em to go away all together, ill just limit my ... ::..:: ... COME here ...::..::... haha saaaalll good

6. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

20 years ago

they did work it just makes me think emergancy i kept thinking that maybe bird was playin with coltrane and dizzy and miles while duke was sittin in on piano or something crazy ressurection like that... dont ask...

7. by Spunky2sax75
            (75 posts)

20 years ago

Hey. I'm a freshman in high school, first alto in jazz band and concert band. I play a Yani A-901 usually and if you want to improve your tone, GET A NEW SAX. Yanagisawas tone sucks pretty hard in my opinion. I think Selmers have a much richer tone, Yanagisawas sound tinny to me. Well, maybe I made you think about it at least, so theres my 2 cents.

8. by karebear1012
            (395 posts)

20 years ago

The Yani tone sucks? Ohh..thanks...i was thinking about getting one for next year. I guess not, lol. I really liked the unlaquered yamaha z. Spunky2sax, how long have you been playing sax? I'm in the same place as you...jazz and concert band.

9. by saxyfire
            (9 posts)

20 years ago

would you guys cut it out with horn crap. You don't need a new horn to be good. I play on a student model conn(a piece of crap) and I am a freshman with first chair in concert band and Jazz band. If you are good you can sound good no matter what you play. A new horn can help, but what will really help is practice. A horrible musian is still horrible even on the best Mark 7. If you want good tone do long tones. Get s new horn when your ready to go to collage.

10. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

20 years ago

Well said, saxy. Nice to see someone with their head on straight.