Saxophone Forum

by SuperAction77
(4 posts)
15 years ago

looking for audition music

hey guys, im a junior in high school. Im looking for a good audition piece for governor's school audition/solo & ensemble/college auditions. ive played pieces such as the creston sonata 3rd movement. eccles sonata. scara mouche [sp?] although i never worked scaramouche up to performance quality i do enjoy it. right now i am working on Inroduction, Dance, and Furioso by Herbert Couf along with Allegretto Brilliante by Demersseman. any suggestions that might fit my needs would be great.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by bazooka_sax
    (2 posts)

15 years ago

Re: looking for audition music

what kind of sax do you play?

Reply To Post

1. by SuperAction77
      (4 posts)

15 years ago

oh sorry. alto and bari. but i would need an alto solo piece.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by xxSaxCannon921xx
    (1 post)

15 years ago

How about Jacobi?

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

15 years ago

Only do that piece if you're looking for a very non-musical piece, though. It's technical, but I don't really consider it to be that much of music. I would suggest Sonata No. 3 (the Sigurd Rascher arrangement, of course). I find that to be a very versatile song in both lyricism and technicality. P.S. - I got into college on Sonata No. 3.

Reply To Post

3. by saxandbassplayer
    (42 posts)

15 years ago

I think a really good one to consider would be the Hindemith Sonata. It's a great piece with a lot of room to show off musicality. Other ones you could look into are the Heiden Sonata, the Glazunov Concerto, the Lunde Sonata, or Tableaux de Provence. The pieces I suggested have a little bit of a range of difficulty, but don't think that automatically playing the hardest piece of the bunch will give you a sure-fire chance. In my experience, playing a piece that's a little easier can go a lot longer. You can play it more confidently, and you will be more comfortable with dynamic contrast and... frankly the people listening to it would prefer something musical and played well instead of something flashy that could use some more work. I'd say look at maybe the Hindemith or the Lunde. Hindemith is a fantastic writer, and the Lunde is something I've recently dug out and started playing. It's a very joyful piece. The best thing you could do is check out the sheet music, and listen to a recording of some pieces. Just be wary... some pieces can be deceptively hard. Hope I was helpful.

Reply To Post

4. by jdcsax
    (14 posts)

15 years ago

The Bozza Aria would be a nice contrast to the speed and technicality of the Creston. You want to show the judges that you are able to play both the fast stuff and then slow it down and be able to control the soft, pretty stuff as well. Even the 2nd movement of the Creston would be a great contrast to a fast movement from a different piece. I say that because of both the Dynamic contrast throughout the piece and the control needed for the middle of it when it goes into the palm keys at the loudest part of the piece. It's also just an extremely gorgeous movement.

Reply To Post