Saxophone Forum

by tenor562
(297 posts)
20 years ago

Mouthpieces

I'm looking for 2 mouthpieces, tenor jazz, and tenor classical. I want possibly the best classical piece out there, then I want a good, but

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Mouthpieces

im not too keen on hte mouthpiece bit, im more of a get a good all around piece and work with that maybe use a different lig, a good all around piece is a selmer s-80 C*, i find it to a be a good all around mouthpiece.. but a good jazz mouthpiece ive heard is a meyer, i donno, haha correct me if im wrong ppl and a really good classical mouthpiece is a selmer s-90, i think i heard round chambers give you a jazzier sound?? am i right??

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

A round chamber just gives you a better sound. The S-80 is a terrible all around piece, and a medeocre classsical piece, because of that ridiculous sqare chamber.

Reply To Post

2. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

20 years ago

jazz=meyer classical=selmer s-90 good all around i feel is a selmer s-80 c*, seems good to me, anyone else??

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by Black Orpheus
      (23 posts)

20 years ago

I would agree that a Selmer S-80 is a good all around mouthpiece, but not a C* for a tenor! That's too closed, especially for jazz playing... I would reccommend a D if you want this type of mouthpiece. Of course it really depends on the player. If you're used to a small tip opening, like your sound and don't mind using a mic a lot, then stick with the C*.

Reply To Post

3. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Well, to start off, the 62II far surpasses any Jupiter there is. Second, the larr teel is good for classical...the s-80 C* is terrible for a tenor. A good jazz piece for under a hundred would either be an Otto Link Tone Edge, of a new Meyer; both of which can found at WWBW.com. Have them send you a couple of different chamber sizes to see where you are at. Just type in Larry Teal mouthpieces on Google, and you'll find those. On the Larry Teel, try the Vandoren Optimum lig, or the Francious Louis Ultimate lig. On the Otto Link or meyer, use that stock piece. Vandoren Javas are very good. Also, a reed I originally hated and has grown on me for the darkness is the Vandoren ZZ, I just get a half size bigger on those, because they run thin.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

"Ditto" to Golferguy. I think that Larry Teals - especially the older scroll shank versions are the best classical mouthpiece on alto. Mine's not really all that dark sounding, so I find the Rovner ligs work well on it. On tenor, the LT's are OK too. A C* facing on a selmer classical mouthpiece is WAY too closed for tenor, though I find it to work well with their metal jazz mouthpieces. I wasn't able to get good intonation on my Series III alto with an S80 C*, but am dead on with a Selmer metal jazz C*. You really need to try things out. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. For jazz, I'm pretty much sold on Vandoren Java and Jumbo Java pieces depending on how many layers of paint you are looking to remove.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

20 years ago

I'm actually thinking of buying the Larry Teal, and a Meyer G. Hopefully, I can go down to south bend for a huge testing of stuff, ex. horns, ligs, reeds, mpcs. I'm going to test all your reccomendations, and see what works for me. I've been saving up for 2 years now to get my own sax, (I use my schools YTS23), and I want to get a good setup with it. Thanks for all your help, any more tips would b great.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

On Alto (which I don't play often anymore) I am currently using a Vandoren Optimum AL3 and Alexander Classique with a Rovner. It's fairly dark depending on the reed, responds well, and I have little difficlulty with any sort of dynamic I like the S80 in concert settings for those looking for a clear, warm sound on the bright side of the concert spectrum, but it is one of the worst projecting pieces I've ever played on alto. Likewise, I have heard a few designers and clinicians commenting on the square chamber playing havok with intonation. If you needed one mouthpiece do do it all, the Selmer Soloist is much more versitile than the S80. I don't think it's a whole lot darker, and it's a little less warm-sounding than the S80, but projection is better and it has a bit more 'body' to the sound. try stuff for yourself, btw.

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
        (155 posts)

20 years ago

Jazz sounds are wildly divergent and pretty personal. That said I think the most common tenor piece is Otto Link. They seem to work really well at getting a jazz sound for most people.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Johnson said he is playing the Vandoren Optimum piece for classical; I forgot to mention those, they are very fine classical mouthpieces.

Reply To Post