Saxophone Forum

by jazzplayer15
(27 posts)
15 years ago

Jupiter Saxes

I was curious about Jupiter brand Saxes. I've never heard of them before and was wondering what their pros and cons were.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxandbassplayer
    (42 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Jupiter Saxes

I've never been much of a fan of Jupiter saxes. If my memory serves me correctly, those horns were designed to have a middle register that's well in tune, but that puts the low and high registers WAY out of whack. I've also seen a lot of issues with responsiveness, especially in the low and high registers. I HAVE heard a couple people play on jupiters that sounded great, but more often than not they could sound a lot better. The only thing I might see as a pro to these horns is... at least they're cheap horns. For the money though, I'd personally look for a different used horn... sometimes you can find insane deals on horns if you look around in Classified ads in newspapers and online. I might be a bit biased, being an avid selmer lover, but I hope I was a bit helpful.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

15 years ago

when the Jupiter horns first came out they were abysimal...(sp)..but over the years they have steadily improved..several of my younger students play on the mid level jupiters, and for the money they seem to me to be entirely decent horns.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax253
    (13 posts)

15 years ago

Hi I have always played on a Jupiter Student alto sax and I think that they are fine instruments BUT Only with the right mouthpiece set up can they sound good. They come with an absolute shocking student mouthpiece(I changed straight away). Also as myself I am ready for a new horn I am saving up for a professional horn and I have noticed that the Jupiter saxes metal is quite weak and ca bend easily. I think that a Jupiter sax is good but needs to be serviced at least once a year (something people tend to do only with pro saxes). Hope this helped Regards Lewis

Reply To Post

3. by The Mama
    (2 posts)

15 years ago

My son had one as a loaner while his Selmer was being repaird. It was awful. We hated listening to it, and he hated playing it.

Reply To Post